Overwatch? Or over-hyped?

Look down them sights, soldier. Fire at will!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I've been watching the updates on Blizzard's foray into the first person shooter for a while. The game is Overwatch, and features 21 characters in a stylized fashion competing for traditional, team-based shooter goals (e.g. "king of the hill" and "payload" style objectives - I'm not sure if others will be introduced at a later date).

They recently announced the prices of the game, and it will not be free to play. This doesn't surprise me too much, since it is a Blizzard game. I'm hoping that it won't require a monthly subscription on top of the price to buy it. Although I'm not a fan of FPSes, this one looks like it might be pretty good.

What do you think? And if you've got a favorite character out of the lineup, feel free to share that as well! Right now, Bastion looks like it would be the most fun for me to play - sort of a cross between the soldier and an engineer's turret from TF2.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
looks interesting but I didn't see enough of the gameplay to sell me on it though. Nicely modeled characters but I'm not that much into Blizzard games to catch all of the references to their other games
Aenoc
Noob
Noob
I don't think they will make this a pay to play monthly sub. However, what I guarantee that they will do is that they will charge you for "champions" and probably skins for those "champions." But that's just speculating on how blizzard finds ways to get extra cash out of their games. I just hope I don't have to pay for champions I want, instead another method of maybe in game currency for playing games that would eventually be able to buy stuff without the cost of real money. Just invested hours of game play.
matykero
Noob
Noob
From the reviews and gameplay footage I've seen so far this looks impressive. I'm not really into shooters but this could really tempt me.

The op comment 'it will not be free to play. This doesn't surprise me too much, since it is a Blizzard game' surprises me though. The last two games Blizzard have released have both been F2P. Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. Both games have plenty of extras that can be paid for, but also can be bought for in-game currency so if you never want to give Blizzard one £/$ you don't have to.

Blizzard have really caught onto micro-transactions as a business model, yes, they are a business, and do want your money. All the skins that are purchasable across there game portfolio are evidence of this, and I reckon they would continue this in Overwatch. From the off, you can pre-purchase the basic game or have the option of paying more for varied skins and all characters unlocked.

I would expect further characters to be released and various skins available for purchase later on too.