Half-Life 2 awarded Game of the Decade

Look down them sights, soldier. Fire at will!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://kotaku.com/5966795/

Do you agree? I'm not so sure...
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I think it certainly had a big enough impact to warrant acclaim. I could think of a few better games, but meh.
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
I would like to point out that we're talking about Spike; just be glad that it wasn't Call of Duty.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
I've tried bits and pieces of it (got the demo off Steam some months ago, and got Episode 1 for free during last year's Steam Christmas thingamajig).

It's not the best game overall, but it's probably the best fit for the title. From the little bits and pieces I've played, it's leaps and bounds ahead of what else was going on in gaming at the time (and now, in a lot of cases). Plus, the exceeding of most if not all expectations for the game at release and general uniqueness that's almost unparalleled that keeps it interesting.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
Truthseeker
Gamer
Gamer
It's not a bad choice for Game of the Decade. I certainly can't think of a game from that decade that's obviously better. There might be some games from that decade that are arguably better, or better depending on taste, or are not easily compared (is Half-Life 2 "better" than Guitar Hero? On what bases would one even compare them?).
Brokan Mok

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek . . . to be understood, as to understand.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I think TS really hits it on the mark with this. It's a great game, but I don't think we'd even be able to accurately qualify what the best game would be.

It's certainly not my favorite game of the decade. Not even on the Top 5. But, that's because of taste. Objectively, it's a great game, I enjoyed it immensely and I can't think of anything off the top of my head that'd make it better. Other than, maybe, Episode 3. :P

For these reasons, I never fully liked the Best Game/Top games list. Too much variance to be even reasonably accurate, and everybody is going to feel some of their favorites are left out and some of the ones included shouldn't be. It's nice, however, to see one of your well loved games get recognition.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
I agree here. You can't win because everybody has different tastes.

Racing enthusiasts are often very young children to older men who follow it religiously, shooter enthusiasts are usually shriveled up whiny 10 year olds, and RPG fans are occasionally older siblings to the aforementioned ten year olds. Each think their genre is the best. Nobody can win.
Noobyhead99
Dang straight!
Spoiler:
Supern0va
Noob
Noob
Wow !

i went through its list before this, all were great games. and now im surprised and glad Half Life 2 won it all !! im sure folks at Valve are very delighted right now.
its a great game, there is free demo in Steam for Half Life 2.

Half life 1 was the game that started it all, for valve and the general shooter community/genre. half life 2 brought it to the next level, its source engine was the forefront during then- also its story and legacy which kept fans abrupt for years, constantly disturbing valve for HALF LIFE 3 !. who knows what valve is upto now, they always seem to be first in innovative gameplay.
Do not judge a book by its movie.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Half Life 3? No such thing.
jonjonjovi223
Noob
Noob
Truly, I think Valve deserves the title. Half-Life 2 was absolutely brilliant. It took what was already done with modern shooters and created the perfect balance of awesome physics, perfect shooting, brilliant characters such as Barney and Alyx, and a superb story in a fully imagined world full of open-ended possibilities. Some may say Grand Theft Auto IV should have taken it, Batman: Arkham City, or Portal 2; (those all being incredible games) but they fall just short of Half-Life 2's greatness. But that's my opinion.
1st Peter 3:15; but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect