Civilization V multiplayer thread

Gather resources, build your army, conquer!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Syksy
Are you human?: Yes!
Dear all,

recently in the CCGR Civ V gaming deals thread people announced that they were interested in playing a multiplayer Civ V game. As we have people of varying skill levels, and possibly people who are more interested in Player versus Player while others more into Players versus AI, I would like to hear out your thoughts on how to set up a game. I am myself interested in PvP, but willing to go for a more peaceful path too.

Some questions for those willing to participate:
How would you prefer the game to be set up? I am myself euro-timezone, so it is rather hard for me to be online at feasible hours for you guys. Would you be ok with e.g. setting up a play-by-email game, where we would always post the latest save game to a Dropbox-folder where the next player could fetch it up? Sounds complicated I know, but this is the first thing that came to my mind
Do you have the expansion (Gods n' Kings)?
What type of game would you prefer? Should we have predetermined alliances, are hostilities allowed, rules for PvP/PvE, which objectives to include, what time scale and map type etc.
How experienced are you with Civ V or the previous Civ-games?
You can find me from the CCGR Steam-group, feel free to add me as a friend!
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
I've only played Revolution, a simplified console version.

I'm beginning to wonder how feasible this is, I'm assuming you can't, but is there a way to play it like a Facebook game? (1P logs on and plays turn, 2P logs on and plays turn, etc...) The Dropbox idea would work, but it I would almost rather just play by myself than transferring the files around all the time.

Not sure.
Last edited by Nate DaZombie on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
First, I'm down for the game.

Set up: I think a Play By Email or dropbox set up is ideal. It'd be too hard to coordinate gaming sessions. A small turn now and then would be most efficient. One of the downside of the dropbox method is there can be conflicts if 2 people try playing at the same time. A sort of check-in/check-out method might fix that, but when we start setting up a repository or github for it, we might be going a little too far.
A rudimentary text document where we recording turns might work though. Each of our names, and we just make a mark for when we start our turn and when we finish it. Don't play if someone started but didn't finish, and when everybody finish, clear off the markings and make a post here for the signalling the next turn.
On the other hand, PBEM, we can set up a rotation and you just send the save game file to the next person on the list. It's simple, but it's less flexible than the first one (and forces turn order, which isn't imperative in the game).

Expansion: I do have God's and Kings.

Game Type: I'm not sure about alliances or not. I'm open on this, but if we get enough people, I think it'd be fun if we did a FFA, no bots. If we only get a handfull, maybe teams: us vs. AI.

Experience: Pretty decently experienced. Finished 2 games in Civ 5 (one vanilla, one GaK.) On the difficulty chart, not sure, but somewhere between Prince and Deity.
Grew up on Civ 2 and played all the way to the present (including SMAC/SMAX. so good...)
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I will post more on this once GaK goes on sale again so I can get it >_>
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ALL RIGHT. I got GaK 50% off as a Christmas present to myself, along with possibly Fallout 3 soonish.

So.

How would you prefer the game to be set up? Play by email/dropbox would probably work best for me.
Do you have the expansion (Gods n' Kings)? SURE DO BRAH
What type of game would you prefer? Should we have predetermined alliances, are hostilities allowed, rules for PvP/PvE, which objectives to include, what time scale and map type etc.: I kind of suck so alliances would be nice but honestly I'm up for anything.
How experienced are you with Civ V or the previous Civ-games? ONLY SOMEWHAT
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
Guys! I just bought God and Kings on Steam today. :D

I don't really care, I'm flexible.
See above.
I suck at strategy games, so I would prefer to work together. haha
AND Civ 5 is my first Civ title.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
How would you prefer the game to be set up?
I don't really care, I can be flexible. I am a student though, so the more time-flexible we can be, the better.

Do you have the expansion (Gods n' Kings)?
Yes. Not too much experience with the content, but I have it.

What type of game would you prefer?
Maybe working together, or at least a form of teams against other teams.

How experienced are you with Civ V or the previous Civ-games?
Moderate. I have played a bit of Civ IV and Civ Revolution. I can win games reliably on Prince and I've won a few on King. Haven't tried any of the higher difficulties.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I think I maybe stumbled on something that'd solve our PBE woes.

http://multiplayerrobot.com/

Anybody willing to give this a try?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Pheonix
Forum Moderator
ArchAngel wrote:I think I maybe stumbled on something that'd solve our PBE woes.

That looks like a great solution. We really need to get this ball rolling though.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Alright, so here's who I have down:
  • Syksy
    ArchAngel
    ChickenSoup
    Pheonix
    Deepfreeze32
Anybody else want in? I know we have a couple more Civ V gamers here.
Also, be sure we all have each other as friends on Steam.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
ArchAngel wrote:I think I maybe stumbled on something that'd solve our PBE woes.

We should definitely give it a shot. Looks like a good solution to our problems

Also, I have all of you on Steam (And therefore, all of you have me). So if you're not friends with someone, search my friends list.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Gently considering joining this. Probably won't, on account of a weak laptop, lack of Gods and Kings, tight schedule, and general inexperience.

It does sound like great fun though.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Sounds like you need to build a new desktop, get G&K, open that schedule up and start playing.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
ArchAngel wrote:Sounds like you need to build a new desktop, get G&K, open that schedule up and start playing.
That sounds like fun actually. The only problem is that I don't have the money to build a new desktop (college is looming ominously, and I have yet to be employed), and even if I did, I'd feel bad about spending a tiny nest egg on a new desktop (it's been bothering me more and more lately).

But believe me, that sounds like tremendous fun. I could probably make it if I bought G&K (or if we decided not to use it) and I just ran the game in strategic mode, as my schedule usually opens up after dark on Saturdays for a few hours. No gurrantees though.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Well, so you know, each player takes his or her turn individually on their own time and it'll end up probably being around a turn a day. Not a whole lot of commitment, and if you can play Civ V games on your own, you will be able to play this.

If G&K is a limiting factor for people, we can always drop it, too.

For the game, though, if a person can't commit to around a turn a day, it might not be best for them.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.