Grand strategy games

Gather resources, build your army, conquer!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Wildebear
Are you human?: Yes!
Hey everybody, firstly, I want to say that this place is awesome, never seen something like this on the web so far.
Okay, so does anyone else here play Grand Strategy Games like Victoria 2, Europa Universalis 3 or For the Glory?

I personally like these type of games mainly for the satisfaction of building an empire and conquering neighboring settlements. It's also fun to mod games like Victoria 2.
“Conquer yourself rather than the world.”
― René Descartes
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Welcome! I have written reviews for Europa Universalis and other Paradox games. They're not my first pick but they're fun.
Wildebear
ccgr wrote:Welcome! I have written reviews for Europa Universalis and other Paradox games. They're not my first pick but they're fun.
Thanks, I agree, they're a lot of fun but very frustrating too. Hearts of iron 3 was almost too buggy to play, although the concepts are interesting.
― René Descartes
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
have you played East India Company? I enjoyed those naval strategy games
Wildebear
ccgr wrote:have you played East India Company? I enjoyed those naval strategy games
Yes, but I enjoyed Empire Total War's naval battles more.
― René Descartes
Syksy
As far as grand strategy goes, Civilization -series (latest is V) has always been my favorite. Sometimes I do get bored of the simplistic combat and too easy to trick AI, even when playing on the higher difficulty levels. When I want to play more combat-orientated games, Total War -series has always been good. Empire was bugged as heck though, at one point (after 100h+ on grand campaign) it corrupted _all of my savegame files_. Haven't played it since :/ had already conquered Americas and Europe as Sweden, had only India left to go for the grand victory.

Some other names that come to my mind are Hearts of Iron -series and King Arthur, which I recently got out of Steam sales. Feels like a Total War -game with fantasy elements (spells etc) in it.
You can find me from the CCGR Steam-group, feel free to add me as a friend!
Wildebear
Syksy wrote:As far as grand strategy goes, Civilization -series (latest is V) has always been my favorite. Sometimes I do get bored of the simplistic combat and too easy to trick AI, even when playing on the higher difficulty levels. When I want to play more combat-orientated games, Total War -series has always been good. Empire was bugged as heck though, at one point (after 100h+ on grand campaign) it corrupted _all of my savegame files_. Haven't played it since :/ had already conquered Americas and Europe as Sweden, had only India left to go for the grand victory.

Some other names that come to my mind are Hearts of Iron -series and King Arthur, which I recently got out of Steam sales. Feels like a Total War -game with fantasy elements (spells etc) in it.
Civilization 4 is great, easy to get in to.
Very simple economics and battles.

TW series is one of the best:
I prefer playing medieval 2 total war. Empire was buggy, but I managed to keep it under control with a few patches and mods. Napoleon was not bad, but it was more repetitive. So far I am not enjoying Shogun 2, I just have a big lack of interest for the history and units.

Hearts of iron 3 was buggy as hell.
Hearts of iron 2 was fun, but hard to get into the action while playing as a minor nation.
Arsenal of democracy was almost the same as HO2.
For the glory, not too bad, but not as good as Europa Universalis (Heir to the throne etc)
Victoria 2, awesome, takes a lot of time to begin conquering(hard to get casus belli) and without the 1.2 patch rebels randomly rise now and then.
King Arthur - one of the best paradox releases. It felt like medieval 2 total war.
Rise of Prussia - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
East India Company: I played it a whole while ago but it felt a bit repetitive after a while, nothing innovative, I'd rather play Empire/Napoleon TW for the sea battles.
I still need to play Achtung Panzer.
― René Descartes
Strider
CCGR addict
lol language
Government is another way of saying "better than you."
Tritherian
Noob
Noob
I like a good Grand Strategy game every now and then. In fact, I just bought Medieval 2: TW and am playing with the Third Age: TW mod (Lord of the Rings themed). I've also played quite a bit of Empire: TW. Yeah, bugs, but still fun. One that I think has gotten overlooked a lot is Knights of Honor. It has dated graphics and the battle phase isn't as good as a Total War game, but it still has a lot to offer and I'd love to see a squeal.
You could also qualify Sins of a Solar Empire, which I also enjoy, as a GSG. It may lack some of the depth that usually goes with that title, but it sure can be grand! I do have Europa Universalis III, but haven't gotten into it much yet.

I'd like to get Galactic Civilizations 2 sometime. Looks like a great Civ in space (the Star Trek vs. Star Wars mod doesn't hurt either). Other GSG I'd love to get my hands on include: Victoria II, King Arthur, Napoleon: TW, Civilizations (III, IV and V, eventually) and Sword of the Stars.
Wildebear
Tritherian wrote:I like a good Grand Strategy game every now and then. In fact, I just bought Medieval 2: TW and am playing with the Third Age: TW mod (Lord of the Rings themed). I've also played quite a bit of Empire: TW. Yeah, bugs, but still fun. One that I think has gotten overlooked a lot is Knights of Honor. It has dated graphics and the battle phase isn't as good as a Total War game, but it still has a lot to offer and I'd love to see a squeal.
You could also qualify Sins of a Solar Empire, which I also enjoy, as a GSG. It may lack some of the depth that usually goes with that title, but it sure can be grand! I do have Europa Universalis III, but haven't gotten into it much yet.

I'd like to get Galactic Civilizations 2 sometime. Looks like a great Civ in space (the Star Trek vs. Star Wars mod doesn't hurt either). Other GSG I'd love to get my hands on include: Victoria II, King Arthur, Napoleon: TW, Civilizations (III, IV and V, eventually) and Sword of the Stars.
Hey, forgot to mention Knights of Honor.
Great game, the concepts really worked in the end. Though a bit hard, the game seems to give a lot of detail on many aspects of the time period. War, diplomacy, economy etc feels realistic. I must confess that this game was very frustrating at first, expanding an empire was hard. The rebels are a big pain in the neck because you can't create unlimited armies, thus you always have to leave an army behind in captured territory to ensure that you don't lose it. :lol:
― René Descartes
Tritherian
Noob
Noob
Wilpanzer wrote:Hey, forgot to mention Knights of Honor.
Great game, the concepts really worked in the end. Though a bit hard, the game seems to give a lot of detail on many aspects of the time period. War, diplomacy, economy etc feels realistic. I must confess that this game was very frustrating at first, expanding an empire was hard. The rebels are a big pain in the neck because you can't create unlimited armies, thus you always have to leave an army behind in captured territory to ensure that you don't lose it. :lol:
A lot of that is because you can only have eight armies at a time, and that's only if you use all of your Knight slots for Marshals. So it really is a bit of a juggling game to balance military, economy, religion, est. in the late game. It would be nice if, as your empire expanded, you could increase the size of your court (I.E. more Knights).
Wildebear
Tritherian wrote:
Wilpanzer wrote:Hey, forgot to mention Knights of Honor.
A lot of that is because you can only have eight armies at a time, and that's only if you use all of your Knight slots for Marshals. So it really is a bit of a juggling game to balance military, economy, religion, est. in the late game. It would be nice if, as your empire expanded, you could increase the size of your court (I.E. more Knights).
Totally agree. The game does promote one true concept very well and that is how harder it becomes for a ruler to stay in control when it expands. By playing Europa and Victoria 2 I realized how unpredictable the power of a kingdom is, one mistake can result in the demise of a big empire.
― René Descartes
Syksy
Gotta power up this thread a bit, as I recently got Total War: Shogun 2 from Steam discount sales and boy am I glad with it.

They got rid of most of the unneccessary garbage (like 15 variations of the same unit with different names, differing only in the colour of underwear the troops wear) that annoyed me in TW: Empire, and added a whole bunch of multiplayer-sweetness. I love the new Avatar system they added, with slight RPG elements and interesting clan-struggles. Drop-in battles already came in TW: Napoleon, they allow you to invite a Steam friend or a random person to fight the battles of AI players against you, which spices up the campaigns. Also seems there's pure multiplayer campaigns available. 10 hours down and I've only been playing multiplayer so far. Now I remember why every entry in the TW-series has been a death stroke for the immediate near future social life *cough*
You can find me from the CCGR Steam-group, feel free to add me as a friend!
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Syksy wrote:Gotta power up this thread a bit, as I recently got Total War: Shogun 2 from Steam discount sales and boy am I glad with it.

They got rid of most of the unneccessary garbage (like 15 variations of the same unit with different names, differing only in the colour of underwear the troops wear) that annoyed me in TW: Empire, and added a whole bunch of multiplayer-sweetness. I love the new Avatar system they added, with slight RPG elements and interesting clan-struggles. Drop-in battles already came in TW: Napoleon, they allow you to invite a Steam friend or a random person to fight the battles of AI players against you, which spices up the campaigns. Also seems there's pure multiplayer campaigns available. 10 hours down and I've only been playing multiplayer so far. Now I remember why every entry in the TW-series has been a death stroke for the immediate near future social life *cough*
It was KILLING me not to jump on that steam sale for Shogun 2, but I'd already bought three games recently and I had to cut myself off XD

Especially because I got fed up with Empire after a while with all the micromanaging everything across the entire globe so I quit for a while. Reading that Shogun 2 simplifies everything made me happyyy
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Tritherian
Noob
Noob
ChickenSoup wrote:Especially because I got fed up with Empire after a while with all the micromanaging everything across the entire globe so I quit for a while. Reading that Shogun 2 simplifies everything made me happyyy
One of the things that I liked about Empire was that you could use towns to customize a region. But it could get a little tedious when you have an empire that spans half the globe. So, how exactly does Shogun 2 handle it?