Real Time Strategy or Turn Based?

Gather resources, build your army, conquer!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Legion
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Turn-based, most definitely. I like having the time to sit back and form my strategies. Fire Emblem, Valkyrie Profile, Age of Empires (the DS games), and old Archon for the NES. The only real-time I could ever get into was Battalion Wars, if that even counts.
"For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding." -Proverbs 2:6
coolkid4832
Noob
Noob
Totally real time. The best real time game I have played is Battalion Wars II.
TheHoneyBadgr
Noob
Noob
I like both, but prefer turn based strategy. I prefer my strategy games to be a little more relaxed.
blacksinow
For me, it depends on what the game has to offer.
Oblivions_Key
Gamer
Gamer
Location: Someplace where you need either a yellow wristband or a leprechaun to get to
Probably turn based for me, but i like RTS's like Age of Empires or Command and Conquer too.
ironwizard
Noob
Noob
Don't think I can decide. I generally play RTS games, but I've got a Turn based or two that I love. Battle for Wesnoth is a great turn based game. The slower pace really allows you to carefully consider each option to make the best tactical decision, which is good, because anything less and the AI will chew you up and spit you out.
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
It depends on the style of game. I love RTS Games. I have a bunch of the Dawn of war games and Dawn of war 2. I grew up on Command and Conquer and still have a bunch of their games as well.

If it's a rpg style strategy (like final fantasy tactics), then turn based is best. Then again, Warcraft III was cool with it's hero feature.

I guess my final vote is RTS, though I do see a place for both.
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Been on a Medieval II:Total War kick these last couple weeks.

I'm a Turn-Based kind of guy. The problem with RTS is that if you've played one, you've played them all. Build structures, advance the tech tree, gather minerals, build stuff, send it over. Rinse, repeat.

I love all the Total War games because you have your strategic side where you ascend the tech tree, but you also need to consider all kinds of other factors like religion, politics, trade, terrain, distance, production, money management, intel, the list goes on and on...

And when it's time to battle, It's your army against your opponent's, and maneuvering is 90% of the tactical game. In a RTS, if I have an army made up of inferior units and throw it at your army made up of superior units, you'll win every single time. On the other hand, in Total War, I could take to the field with weaker units, but if I can outmaneuver you and use sound tactics, I can defeat a superior force. THAT is wargaming.

RTS=strategic numbers game. Turn Based=tactics/strategy.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:Been on a Medieval II:Total War kick these last couple weeks.

I'm a Turn-Based kind of guy. The problem with RTS is that if you've played one, you've played them all. Build structures, advance the tech tree, gather minerals, build stuff, send it over. Rinse, repeat.

I love all the Total War games because you have your strategic side where you ascend the tech tree, but you also need to consider all kinds of other factors like religion, politics, trade, terrain, distance, production, money management, intel, the list goes on and on...

And when it's time to battle, It's your army against your opponent's, and maneuvering is 90% of the tactical game. In a RTS, if I have an army made up of inferior units and throw it at your army made up of superior units, you'll win every single time. On the other hand, in Total War, I could take to the field with weaker units, but if I can outmaneuver you and use sound tactics, I can defeat a superior force. THAT is wargaming.

RTS=strategic numbers game. Turn Based=tactics/strategy.
HEY. HEY. GUESS WHAT. ROME 2: TOTAL WAR IS COMING OUT. YEAH.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Yepper. My son's been on a Rome: Total War kick at the same time I've been playing Medieval II and he's interested in the new Rome as well.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
IF YOU ASKED ME HOW EXCITED I AM

I WOULD SAY

VERY EXCITED
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Total War Mega Pack for $12.50, just saying.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
they WOULD release all of those awesome games for such a low price -_-

It makes me wish I didn't already own those games XD I mean, I don't have the DLC or Napoleon, but, yeah. BLARGH
DranzerFrost
Noob
Noob
I like both almost as equally as each other, but I play turn based games more often. I feel it's much harder for me to start a RTS game if I can't guarantee that I can finish it. It's just takes a bit longer for me to get right into the swing of things on certain games, and most real time games don't normally give you time in the middle of things to re-acquire your bearings.
Last edited by DranzerFrost on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohnolookout
VIP Member
VIP Member
Starcraft 2 ftw
Si ergo Filius vos liberaverit vere liberi eritis