Real Time Strategy or Turn Based?

Gather resources, build your army, conquer!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
FamilyFriendlyGaming
ChickenSoup wrote:
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:One of the problems I have with real time strategy is many of them have bad controls in my opinion. Strategies normally degenerate into swarming attacks - both on offense and defense.

Whereas in turn based there can be more intricate strategies especially in fog of war levels.
That's why the Total War series is awesomesauce
I am not familiar with that franchise. On the PC?
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:
ChickenSoup wrote:
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:One of the problems I have with real time strategy is many of them have bad controls in my opinion. Strategies normally degenerate into swarming attacks - both on offense and defense.

Whereas in turn based there can be more intricate strategies especially in fog of war levels.
That's why the Total War series is awesomesauce
It involves a large map of a huge area with various territories you can capture (not quite Civilization style) with armies, diplomats, etc. moving about on the map. You can only build up armies at cities with barracks you've constructed. Once two armies clash, the camera does a little dramatic zoom-in and you are taken to a battle map that is RTS-style. You can't swarm and destroy because you can't continually recruit units throughout the battle; you're stuck with what you entered the battle with.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Which, interestingly enough, is exactly how Star Wars: Empire at War works.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Deepfreeze32 wrote:Which, interestingly enough, is exactly how Star Wars: Empire at War works.
Except Empire at War didn't pull it off half as well.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
FamilyFriendlyGaming
ChickenSoup,
Interesting. Thanks.

Do you know how many you have against how many they have before battle? Or is it a guessing game?
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
If you had spies infiltrate their army. However, the game does give you a rough estimate of the opposing army's strength vs. your army's strength to give you a goodish (as in sometimes incorrect, depending) guess.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Orodrist wrote:
Deepfreeze32 wrote:Which, interestingly enough, is exactly how Star Wars: Empire at War works.
Except Empire at War didn't pull it off half as well.
Dis
FamilyFriendlyGaming
ChickenSoup wrote:If you had spies infiltrate their army. However, the game does give you a rough estimate of the opposing army's strength vs. your army's strength to give you a goodish (as in sometimes incorrect, depending) guess.
Interesting, thanks.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I think there's some demos out there if you were that interested
FamilyFriendlyGaming
ChickenSoup wrote:I think there's some demos out there if you were that interested
Thanks. :)
ohnolookout
VIP Member
VIP Member
I dunno what RTS' you've played, but Warcraft has an extreme focus on micromanagement and counter units.

jussayin.
Si ergo Filius vos liberaverit vere liberi eritis
Sabercrazy
Gamer
Gamer
ChickenSoup wrote:
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:
ChickenSoup wrote: That's why the Total War series is awesomesauce
It involves a large map of a huge area with various territories you can capture (not quite Civilization style) with armies, diplomats, etc. moving about on the map. You can only build up armies at cities with barracks you've constructed. Once two armies clash, the camera does a little dramatic zoom-in and you are taken to a battle map that is RTS-style. You can't swarm and destroy because you can't continually recruit units throughout the battle; you're stuck with what you entered the battle with.

Medieval II:Total War has really cool unit fighting. (Don't own and haven't played any of the others so dunno)

Instead of just one set of units hacking away at another, they actually fight. Swing sword, other unit blocks with shield, other unit returns with it's own counter which lands. Original unit then swings again, hitting the other unit's shield once again, then comes random frickin' awesome kill animation from the other unit ending the original unit.

I almost just play it for those little shows alone.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

"An optimist is a man whom knows God will provide." - Me
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Empire: Total War is the same, except WIF GUNZ.

And Napoleon: Total War is the same as that, except WIF IMPROVED AI

and Shogun 2: Total War is coming out soon

WHICH MEANS IN A FEW MORE YEARS, FINALLY, ROME 2: TOTAL WAR AHHH
hobbes
Noob
Noob
Hey I just wanna say that Joshua 1:9 is awesome!
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Wow, I did not see this. :shock:

Any ways, with all the strategy games I played,
I would say turn based is better.
(That's what I like at lest.)

Don't get me wrong, I love RTS games,
but Turn based games have a lot more options, and normally skills, classes, exp, and equipment.

I love leveling up characters to there max. Using awesome skills.
Turn Base can take a long time to master, and if the game has a two player thing, then there is even more the reason to level.

Oh, wait... when you said,
Turnbase do you mean RPG, or Tactics? Well I do like both. :D
(I was talking about tactics though.)

I only played four different RTS games though, they just take a lot of time to play. (some times)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.