Fallout 4: Who's playing?

Grind them stats! MMOs and all kinds of RPGs go here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I'm surprised I haven't seen a topic here yet, with all the Skyrim and Fallout 3 fans we used to have 'round here.

I dig it so far. At first I didn't like that they basically eliminated the karma system, but once you find traveling buddies your actions affect your relationship with them. The "perk" system is a little less intricate than the old system, but still a lot of fun. Basically, Fallout 4 is to Fallout 3/New Vegas what Skyrim was to Oblivion. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes are much more balanced, and you can improve one each time you gain a level instead of getting a perk. I wasn't sold on it at first but I'm enjoying it now.

So I've done a handful of the main story missions, but then I got distracted with building up settlements. There are a couple of perks in the Charisma tree that let you build stores and share building materials across your settlements. You can also set up water purifiers that bottle the excess which you can sell for nice profit or use to cook vegetable starch to make more adhesive (which you need if you're doing lots of weapon/armor upgrades). I've always liked using high charisma characters for the speech options, but aside from that it's been a fairly useless stat when it comes to combat; but now it's a lot more useful.

Anybody else playing? :D
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
I was gifted a copy to review for the site from a fan :) Enjoying it so far. I did a few minute men missions but am focusing on the main story now. Met up with the Brotherhood of Steel but they don't appeal to me. I have the people of Sanctuary happy, but I haven't done much with the other settlements. I too miss karma as there's nothing to stop me from stealing as long nobody is nearby :P I like the variety in companions, I have Nick Valentine currently
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Bruce_Campbell wrote:Basically, Fallout 4 is to Fallout 3/New Vegas what Skyrim was to Oblivion.
Yeah, definitely the most succinct way to put it.

The lack of Faction standing, I think, was a loss and it's more of shoot-all-the-raiders-and-super-mutants instead of building up for good or bad relations. The companion standings, at least, do help, but a more diverse set of factions around, I feel, would make a richer world.

I do like the Perk system. I feel that the Skills and perks were really too over-wrought in New Vegas, and the skills really just seems clunky and even a bit unusable. Too many tiny points and you'd have to invest in too high numbers before it showed it's usefulness. The perks are even better understandable than the list and having them under each SPECIAL attribute and tiered based on levels was a nice way of arranging them.

The weapon and armor systems are way better. Dropped the tedious repair system and the modding is a ton of fun. Searching around for the right items to scrap for parts really adds a lot to the post-apocalyptic experience. I collect duct tape and desk fans like no one's business.

Also, the FPS mechanics are a lot tighter. Combat is really fun along with exploration.

All in all, it's been really great and I've been obsessed.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
ArchAngel wrote:I do like the Perk system. I feel that the Skills and perks were really too over-wrought in New Vegas, and the skills really just seems clunky and even a bit unusable.
I agree. I always hated trying to decide how many points to put into each skill as soon as you gained a level, then finding out you were just a few points shy of being able to do something you wanted to do. With FO4 you know better what you're getting into before you do it. I also didn't like that you were almost required to have at least a mid/high intelligence character if you wanted a decent amount of skill points.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
Nedla2000
Noob
Noob
I have never played any of the fallout games but with the release of fallout 4 they have peaked my interest. As one who will jump 3 feet in the air when a minecraft zombie comes up behind me. I liked to see what to me seemed like a less dark atmosphere. Also as someone who is concerned about the morality of the game I am glad they have removed the sexual content from fallout 4. Although I will most likely wait till it goes down in price I do want to play the game. I just thought that a view from someone who is new to the fallout games might be helpful.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Are you human?: Yes!
Fallout 4 may be my introduction to the Fallout series. (Well, to the 3D games at least.)
I look forward to a nice sale down the line! (It will probably be a while. XD)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
MaxMap
I have really enjoyed playing through fallout 4, but I do find several disturbing things that didn't need to be added for "immersion". One thing, for example, is how gruesome it can get when killing someone through the usage of VATS.