Recommendation

Grind them stats! MMOs and all kinds of RPGs go here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Pgr Batman
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Hello,

My gaming history is from the 80s playing mainly adventures such as infocom titles, (not sure who might remember these text adventures).

I would like to try an rpg but I am slightly concerned with content. Please give me an honest opinion to any vulgarity, swearing and sexual content with in any of your recommended titles?

I will only play a few hours a week as I do not want to be giving an overly exaggerated amount of time to playing games.

I am sure you have had these questions before but I have never played an rpg and any help and clarification would be great?

Thanks
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
what game system? PC? I would check out some of the earlier Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy VII has some language though.

http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/inde ... antasy-vii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
I guess it depends on what you're willing to deal with. PERSONALLY, I recommend the main Pokemon series for newcomers to RPGs. They're fairly easy, can be found nearly anywhere, and provide the basic mechanics to turn-based RPGs in a family-friendly manner. Chrono Trigger is also a great choice, as is Radiant Historia.

If you want action though, you absolutely must play:

The Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim all have some problems morally, but it depends heavily on how you play them)
The Kingdom Hearts series(I think the series is a bit overrated, but they're solid games that I still highly recommend.)
The Tales Of series (Some are better than others, and I can't say I've played many of them, but they're simply gorgeous and a blast to play)
The Paper Mario series (Squeaky clean and a great mix between turn-based and sorta action-y)
The Mario and Luigi series (same as above)

There are plenty more, but I'm sure others would be happy to chime in.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
The Elder Scrolls are easily some of my favorite RPGs. If you want a newer RPG stronger on role play elements, I recommend this.

If you like older-type rpgs, you might want to check out Spider Software's work: http://www.spidweb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avernum: Escape from the Pit is the rework of the first in the Avernum trilogies.

Also, it doesn't hurt to check out http://www.gog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for classic titles, too.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Pgr Batman
Noob
Noob
Thanks for the replays.

I do have oblivion and skyrim but have never played them. I always played adventure games such as the old classics which are still great. I will give oblivion and skyrim a go and see how I fair.

Thanks
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
What systems do you have?
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote: If you like older-type rpgs, you might want to check out Spider Software's work: http://www.spidweb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avernum: Escape from the Pit is the rework of the first in the Avernum trilogies.
Dude, you're stealing my lines! :lol:

Some other fantastic - nearly legendary - games include others from Black Isle. Especially Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. I don't recall any particular language issues with those (mild swearing), but Planescape can get a bit gruesome at times - especially since your character wakes up in a morgue....
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Haha, ya snooze, ya lose!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Seriously, we can't help you if we don't know what game console(s) you have.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I got the notion that he didn't have one.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:I got the notion that he didn't have one.
Oh..........

― Criss Jami
blacksinow
I am going to give you a fair warning now that you may run into a few glitches in running black isle games, but they are pretty good.
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II are good. However there is language. You can get those for the PC or Xbox. :)
This is my signature
Emwok
CCGR addict
I'm pretty sure all of these games have reviews on our main site. My dad always checks the reviews here before he lets me get a game. I have been playing TES III: Morrowind (I'm far from finishing though) and it's pretty good although it's not as good in graphics and stuff as some newer games. If you have problems with magic then the Elder Scrolls might not be for you. Minecraft is a fun one. I don't know about the Portal series but I've heard it's good.
Spoiler:

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
good to know people actually find the reviews helpful :)