Marvel vs. Capcom Series

For beating people up in games like Street Fighter and Tekken.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Kendrik
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
New game on the horizon. Cannot wait.

MvC2 is $15 on XBLA/PSN. Get it if you haven't already. Seriously.

Also... feedback to Jester on our recent matches:

You're already better from yesterday or whenever. Seriously. You beat me down the first match, and I's like "wut just happn?"

As you can tell, I suck at combos. I play a punishing game style (wait for an exposed opening... make it hurt). In a combo game like this, my lack of combos show (even if I still win).

There was that one fight that was massively intense. Down to micro life with only one character... you had two with little life left. Man. I wanted that win. I wanted that comeback so bad. But you took it from me.

Good work. :D
jester747
Forum Moderator
Why thank you my friend. You're an extremely fun opponent, as you have your own unique style of fighting. So many players fight so boring I might as well fight the computer.

Also, MvC for the win. Seriously, more people should get it.
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Voted favourite N00B of 2008.
Kendrik
CCGR addict
@Keero (I know you're watching): REPRESENT!

Keero has the game, but I haven't gotten him to play with me yet... that I can recall. >.>

And... I have my own style? Care to elaborate on that? Of all the fighting games I've played, MvC2 has probably gotten the least time and intentional focus from me. I don't really know how people play (other than those who relentlessly assault with Magneto-Storm-Sentinel all day long), so I don't really know how my style is unique.

Understanding what I do will help me understand how to use my strengths and isolate/eliminate my weaknesses.
jester747
Forum Moderator
I mean, you're not boring to fight. You actually know when to attack or defend, and recognize when the enemy lets their guard down. 90% of players don't have that.
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Kendrik
CCGR addict
jester747 wrote:I mean, you're not boring to fight. You actually know when to attack or defend, and recognize when the enemy lets their guard down. 90% of players don't have that.
Appreciate that feedback. I better understand what you mean now.

I think most people start out not having a clue what they're doing. I started to take a more philosophical approach to fighting games a while back. I look beyond the screen to see what's going on beneath the surface. I look for the mind games, etc.

I'm not great at executing them, but my analytical side usually has an idea of what needs to happen.

As for my playstyle, I once was very rushdown-oriented. I'd never let up, figuring that the best defense was a relentless offense. That works. Lots of really good players have that as their basic style.

But more recently, I've changed my style to something more suited toward my personality: a punishing game. If my defense annoys or otherwise renders careless my opponent, mistakes start taking place. The second a weakness is exposed, I step in and destroy.

The best players need to have a strong understanding of control, both short and long range, baiting, punishing, and so on. Just as important is skill in technical execution. Basically, there's a reason the best of the best are what they are.

And there's a reason I'm not one of them. Not yet, anyway.

It takes a ton of work. With enough dedication and practice, anyone can get there, but it's no small thing.

Given my analytical (yet abstract) nature, I'm able to pick up the theoretical side of fighting games fairly easy, but my lack of dedication shows in my subpar execution (if I actually trained and had a clue how to use the characters in MvC2 rather than simply acting with generic concepts, my punishment style would be many times more potent). My lack of practice and experience shows that I can't see all the angles. And, against really good opponents, I'll get completely locked down and have no idea how to get out.

See... look at this can of worms you just opened! It's when I start to look at fighting games as competition rather than a simple pastime that I get all hyped up and longwinded. :P
Keero
I don't like the game because it has two Wolverines.

Redundant.
jester747
Forum Moderator
Keero wrote:I don't like the game because it has two Wolverines.

Redundant.
Oh yeah, there's that...
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Keero
I like the game on normal speed.

I LOVED MVC1, but 2 wasn't that great IMO. Broken characters are broken (Storm, Magneto, Cable). I did dig TvC a lot more though. And MVC3 will have a simple mode like TvC, sooo.
Kendrik
CCGR addict
I like MvC, and I'd play it if I knew anyone who'd play it with me, but I do favor MvC2's system.

TvC is its own beast, and I love it so much that I imported it from Japan long before it was announced to come to the States. Unfortunately, I still haven't bought the American version. >.>

Cannot wait for MvC3. Seriously. Team Sarcasm (Spidey, Deadpool, Dante) is gonna own faces off when I'm playing. :P

Also, Jestah-san! If you don't have an arcade stick, I highly recommend it. Makes all the difference in the world. So much so that I'm buying my... fifth stick now (sold the other ones in the past for various reasons). Yeah. Playing on pad is doable. A stick isn't gonna make you instantly amazing (in fact, your execution will probably get worse until you adjust), but I find it helps with my performance and consistency a lot.

I recommend this one if you have the money: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001GDQRZM It's $64/shipped (at least in the States), and it's really high quality. I'd have bought it myself, but I just couldn't spend that much right now. I'll be buying one as soon as I can, though.

This is despite the fact that I just bought a Tekken 6 bundle (wireless Hori stick... considerably shy of the quality of the HRAP I linked but still viable for the time being, though... with Tekken 6 game and art book) for $45/shipped on eBay. Brand new, even. O.o

You can get a stick for as low as $20 plus shipping (Intec brand PS3 fighting stick on Amazon), but you generally get what you pay for with sticks. I wouldn't advise that stick unless if you have zero experience with sticks and want something super cheap to determine if you hate sticks. Unfortunately, it's low quality will show in lack of precision, response, and probable breaking.

But yeah. Get a stick. srsly Even Keero has one.
jester747
Forum Moderator
Hmmm...

Yah see, I've never really liked sticks. Maybe it's because I haven't used them very much, maybe because I find them obscenely expensive, but they're just not my cup of tea. If I find a decent stick for a really, really decent price, I'll most likely pick it up to try. Other than that, I think I'll stick with the classic.

EDIT: /thread jack

Ken-meister, you should try this flash fighter. The site it's on is sketchy, but it's really assum. http://en.flashwing.net/flashwing/goodg ... 12/16.html
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Kendrik
CCGR addict
I only take exception to calling a pad "the classic" since, y'see, fighting games were made in arcades (with sticks and pushbuttons) and then later ported to consoles (with pads). Aside from that, if thou liketh the pad, then thou shalt playeth the pad. ;)

BUT I HAZ STICK ON THE WAY... AND HYPE TO MATCH! :D

Also. I practiced a little with MvC2 earlier. Probably gonna train my old team of CapCom, Akuma, Cyclops. Cyclops may change. I just... don't really enjoy him that much. Just haven't figured out who to put in his place (I tend to avoid Cable... but he may get the spot).

Edit: That's really impressive for a flash game. O.o

Also. I love King of Fighters. KoF > SF in my world. /hugeclaim
jester747
Forum Moderator
My list of favourites:
-Gambit
-Spiderman
-Captain Commando
-Akuma
-Ryu

And I've been training with Strider, Hayato, and Iceman. I've thoroughly enjoyed both Strider and Hayato, but Iceman seems a little on the simple side for me. As effective as he is, he's more of a first timer's character, as all his attacks are extremely simple and easy to predict.
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Kendrik
CCGR addict
Gambit is one of my all time favorite characters. Period.

If I were to pick a top five (for MvC2), I'd go with...

- Captain Commando
- Akuma
- Gambit
- Colossus
- Rogue

Yep. /nod
jester747
Forum Moderator
Something I've notice: Almost everyone favours Akuma and Captain Commando. XD
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Kendrik
CCGR addict
Akuma is super diverse, and his Expansion assist is excellent for combo building. Captain Commando's anti-air is top of the line. If something is in the air, it's dead.

They're loved for good reason.