Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

For all those action games like Mario, Mega Man, Zelda, God of War, and stuff.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Void of Self
Noob
Noob
I have recently become infatuated with the N64 release of LoZMM, which is considered probably the darkest LoZ game to date. Mainly focusing around death and the pain that comes from that, there has been much speculation about the actual premise of the game. My question to you is simple: What do you think the significance of Link's travel to the doomed land of Termina in his life, and what lessons could we potentially learn from his adventures?
ZealFire
Noob
Noob
Void of Self wrote:I have recently become infatuated with the N64 release of LoZMM, which is considered probably the darkest LoZ game to date. Mainly focusing around death and the pain that comes from that, there has been much speculation about the actual premise of the game. My question to you is simple: What do you think the significance of Link's travel to the doomed land of Termina in his life, and what lessons could we potentially learn from his adventures?
I find the Dead Link theory fairly interesting and there is a good bit in-game that supports it. I'l have to give it more though as to what lessons we can gain from it.
Void of Self
Noob
Noob
Also, as an optional discussion, what do you think the significance of the masks is in regards to Link's life (or death) at this point?
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Are you human?: Yes!
ZealFire wrote:I find the Dead Link theory fairly interesting and there is a good bit in-game that supports it.
Is that the theory of him turning into a stalfos?
I can't say I buy the part of Link's death, as the stalfos part doesn't make sense considering Link is a kid during the time.
Not to mention the Hero's shade isn't a stalfos, as there are some noticeable differences between the two.
(There are a couple of other things too...)

However the five stages of grief does make a lot of sense,
however rather than death, I think it reflects more so on loss.
Link started the quest to find Navi, perhaps the five stages relate to him having lost Navi when she left.

The Skull Kid kinda goes through the same thing as well (though still quite different), as told by the story teller in the game,
Skull Kid was very close friends with the four giants, however the giants had to leave,
and due not being able to handle that, Skull Kid started causing a lot of trouble to the local people,
which ultimately caused the giants to threaten to harm him if he didn't leave the land of Termina.
(Which no doubt made Skull Kid think that his friendship with the giants was no more.)

Also it is implied that the Majora's Mask feeds off of chaos and discontent in the heart of the current user,
and due to those past events, Skull Kid was the perfect host for the mask.

After you beat the game, the four giants explain that they never forgot the Skull Kid
and never stopped thinking of him as a friend despite all that he had done.
After hearing this Skull kid says “Friends are a nice thing to have… heh, heh.”

Then sometime shortly after the Happy Mask Sales Man says to Link.
“Shouldn’t you be returning home as well?
Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever…
Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time…That is up to you.”

I am still not completely sure what Happy Mask Sales Man is implying with that last line. XD
Ah, now I really want to replay Majora's Mask.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Void of Self
Noob
Noob
JOJ650s wrote:
ZealFire wrote:I find the Dead Link theory fairly interesting and there is a good bit in-game that supports it.
Is that the theory of him turning into a stalfos?
I can't say I buy the part of Link's death, as the stalfos part doesn't make sense considering Link is a kid during the time.
Not to mention the Hero's shade isn't a stalfos, as there are some noticeable differences between the two.
(There are a couple of other things too...)

However the five stages of grief does make a lot of sense,
however rather than death, I think it reflects more so on loss.
Link started the quest to find Navi, perhaps the five stages relate to him having lost Navi when she left.

The Skull Kid kinda goes through the same thing as well (though still quite different), as told by the story teller in the game,
Skull Kid was very close friends with the four giants, however the giants had to leave,
and due not being able to handle that, Skull Kid started causing a lot of trouble to the local people,
which ultimately caused the giants to threaten to harm him if he didn't leave the land of Termina.
(Which no doubt made Skull Kid think that his friendship with the giants was no more.)

Also it is implied that the Majora's Mask feeds off of chaos and discontent in the heart of the current user,
and due to those past events, Skull Kid was the perfect host for the mask.

After you beat the game, the four giants explain that they never forgot the Skull Kid
and never stopped thinking of him as a friend despite all that he had done.
After hearing this Skull kid says “Friends are a nice thing to have… heh, heh.”

Then sometime shortly after the Happy Mask Sales Man says to Link.
Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever…

I am still not completely sure what Happy Mask Sales Man is implying with that last line. XD
Ah, now I really want to replay Majora's Mask.
One thing I want to mention, because I have heard it before, is that Link could not have turned into a Stalfos because he is still a child, but during the course of the game he is able to use items that had been exclusive to his adult form in OoT. Also, after Link receives the Romani's Mask, he is recognized as an adult, and allowed into the Milk Bar. Also, a point that was not mentioned was the fact that after Link learns the Elegy of Emptiness, Link's facade still looks lifelike whereas the others have blank, dead looking eyes. If we follow the 5 Stages of Grief, the end of the game would signify Link's acceptance of his own demise. It could then be possible that when he had learned the Elegy, he had still not accepted his own death, causing his effigy to still have the appearance of life. So, with the pot further stirred, what else do you guys think?
There is nothing infinite about our lives, except for the infinite lack of knowledge that we possess. Learn, teach, show and direct the ones who can take over your work.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Void of Self wrote:One thing I want to mention, because I have heard it before, is that Link could not have turned into a Stalfos because he is still a child, but during the course of the game he is able to use items that had been exclusive to his adult form in OoT. Also, after Link receives the Romani's Mask, he is recognized as an adult, and allowed into the Milk Bar. Also, a point that was not mentioned was the fact that after Link learns the Elegy of Emptiness, Link's facade still looks lifelike whereas the others have blank, dead looking eyes. If we follow the 5 Stages of Grief, the end of the game would signify Link's acceptance of his own demise. It could then be possible that when he had learned the Elegy, he had still not accepted his own death, causing his effigy to still have the appearance of life. So, with the pot further stirred, what else do you guys think?
I pretty sure he was able to use the adult weapons because he had more strength and experience.
(I loved how he was able to do front flips when jumping, a really nice touch that shows his experience.)
Though forget the flips, lets talk gear, In the intro Link had the Hylian shield on his back,
I am quite certain he chose that over the wooden shield because he could now use it now.

As for the Romani mask... isn't it just a sign that you're an exclusive member to the Milk Bar?

I do say though, I didn't notice the eyes with Elegy, that's very interesting.
Though couldn't that also be a sign that he isn't dead?

Though I guess another thing that throws me off with the theory of Link being dead is the Happy Mask Sales Man says,
namely what he says at the end of the game. (I'mma going to post it again for easy viewing.)
Happy Mask Sales Man:

Speaking of Happy Mask Sales Man... has anyone made a theory as to why the Moon/Lunar Children look like him?

Void of Self
Noob
Noob
JOJ650s wrote:
Void of Self wrote:One thing I want to mention, because I have heard it before, is that Link could not have turned into a Stalfos because he is still a child, but during the course of the game he is able to use items that had been exclusive to his adult form in OoT. Also, after Link receives the Romani's Mask, he is recognized as an adult, and allowed into the Milk Bar. Also, a point that was not mentioned was the fact that after Link learns the Elegy of Emptiness, Link's facade still looks lifelike whereas the others have blank, dead looking eyes. If we follow the 5 Stages of Grief, the end of the game would signify Link's acceptance of his own demise. It could then be possible that when he had learned the Elegy, he had still not accepted his own death, causing his effigy to still have the appearance of life. So, with the pot further stirred, what else do you guys think?
I pretty sure he was able to use the adult weapons because he had more strength and experience.
(I loved how he was able to do front flips when jumping, a really nice touch that shows his experience.)
Though forget the flips, lets talk gear, In the intro Link had the Hylian shield on his back,
I am quite certain he chose that over the wooden shield because he could now use it now.

As for the Romani mask... isn't it just a sign that you're an exclusive member to the Milk Bar?

I do say though, I didn't notice the eyes with Elegy, that's very interesting.
Though couldn't that also be a sign that he isn't dead?

Though I guess another thing that throws me off with the theory of Link being dead is the Happy Mask Sales Man says,
namely what he says at the end of the game. (I'mma going to post it again for easy viewing.)
Happy Mask Sales Man:

Speaking of Happy Mask Sales Man... has anyone made a theory as to why the Moon/Lunar Children look like him?
When Cremia gives Link Romani's Mask, she also mentions that she recognizes Link as an adult. Also, if you speak to any of the Bombers while wearing the mask, they also mention Link being an adult.

As for the eyes, it very well could mean that, but for the sake of debate I will not confirm or deny that. I think my theory that I posted earlier is some food for thought though.

And as for the Happy Mask Salesman's quote, until Nintendo releases another game featuring the Hero of Time, or makes an official release of the Hero of Time between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, there isn't really much we can say outside of speculation. His quote could refer to him being alive and having to return to Hyrule, or it could refer to his internal battle with his own death and the need to return to Hyrule as a teacher to his descendant.

In regards to the Moon Children, my thoughts are that because of his greed and desire for Majora's Mask, the entities took on a childlike version of the salesman wearing the various remains of the masked bosses. It could also be Majora's Mask's nod to the salesman for unearthing it and allowing it to impact the world again.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Ah, okay.

Yeah, it can go either way.

The quote is rather open ended.

Perhaps, I do say though
the Happy Mask sales Man is quite the mysterious figure, knowing deku Link wasn't Link's true form, vanishing in thin air at the end, etc.
In fact, after looking some dialogue up.
one of the moon children says. "Masks...You have...a lot. You, too... Will you be... a mask salesman?"

Speaking of the Moon children, their dialogue is rather interesting.
"Your friends... What kind of... people are they? I wonder... Do these people... think of you... as a friend?" — Moon Child wearing Odolwa's Mask.
"What makes you happy? I wonder...what makes you happy...does it make...others happy, too?" — Moon Child wearing Goht's Mask.
"The right thing...what is it? I wonder...if you do the right thing...does it make...everybody...happy?" — Moon Child wearing Gyorg's Mask.
"Your true face... What kind of... face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?" — Moon Child wearing Twinmold's Mask.

Then when you talk to the Moon child with Majora's Mask...
(this dialogue only comes when you helped everyone in town/collected all the masks, and gave them to the Moon Children)
"... Everyone has gone away, haven't they?"
"You don't have any masks left, do you? Well, let's do something else."
"Let's play good guys against bad guys... Yes. Let's play that. Are you ready? You're the bad guy. And when you're bad, you just run. That's fine, right?"
Interesting last bit of dialogue, isn't it?
In his game Majora gives you the role of bad guy, which leave him the role of good guy, and he only says this when you collect all the masks.

Void of Self
Noob
Noob
Well the Fierce Deity mask is described as an evil mask, which is interesting considering all Link does. I would also think that the Happy Mask Salesman also has something to do with the four boss masks', considering the Moon Children share part of his mannerisms. One thing that is curious is how he got all of those masks, and it leads to an interesting curiosity: What is the significance of the Song of Healing in the fact that it turns pain and sorrow into a mask of incredible power. Is it possible that the salesman actually sealed the evil of the temples into masks? Or was that the doing of Majora? The salesman, in my opinion, has to be much more than a simple salesman. He knows way too much, and has incredible knowledge of unique masks that he could not have seen otherwise.

If you don't already know, if you wear a mask in from of the salesman and talk to him, he identifies the mask and the properties of it. One mask in particular should be completely unique. When you heal the spirit of the dancer Kimaro, you receive Kimaro's mask. The salesman recognizes the mask when he should now absolutely nothing about it. Curious, don't you think?
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Side note: currently playing the 3DS rerelease and ooohhh boy am I loving the heck out of it XD
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Yeesh. I played this game back when it came out, and I cleared it again a few years ago. I didn't get any of this stuff you guys are theorizing. XD

I did, however, get suddenly jealous of Soup...I want it so much. O_O
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
@Void of Self,
Yeah he is quite the character, he's probably my favorite character in the game. (next to the mailman.)
(Gotta love how he can pull a whole organ from out of nowhere. XD)

You know, I think Chozen may have unintentionally brought up a good point.
Regarding the five stages of grief theory, while the places seem to symbolize the stages.
You don't really get the feeling that Link is going through them.
(everyone else sure, but Link... he's just trying to stop a giant moon from falling. (While helping everyone.))

@Chozen,
Haha fine, XD
how about an easter egg theory? ^-^
(the bunny hood is a bit weird comparison, but the ears are quite similar...)

@Soup,
I am also jealous. O_O