Devil May Cry

For all those action games like Mario, Mega Man, Zelda, God of War, and stuff.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Wolfgang
Gamer
Gamer
Mostly just felt like starting a topic about the series, but I also wanted some impressions on the reboot.

Personally, I'm not very enthusiastic about it. It looks like an interesting game... but why must they do "reboots" of old series instead of just making new games? It frustrates me to no end. It looks to have a completely different character and story from what I can tell, but they still use the Devil May Cry name and call the main character Dante.
"Love is immortal... Too bad you aren't." Magoichi Saika (Samurai Warriors 2)
Drewsov
CCGR addict
It's an origin story.

Team Ninja and Capcom have both gone on record saying that they aren't reinventing the story, but they are taking the series in new directions.

This is probably because 2008's Devil May Cry 4 was a terrible game, and didn't do half as well as anyone expected.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Spartan_117
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
This looks awful. DMC and DMC3 were great games. Should have just gone back to Dante only with the same style as before.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
But how does it look awful?

All we've seen are character designs and prerendered video. There's no idea of story or gameplay or anything that's functional, past what that one trailer showed.

Not sure I get the objections.

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Wolfgang
Gamer
Gamer
I think it looks awful from a fan's perspective. The tone and implied direction from the video don't sit well with me in context to the other games and the anime. It just doesn't fit in very well and frankly I don't like the new character design- black hair and smoking don't sound at all like Dante to me (or being in chains for that matter).

Also they called it a "reboot" and "reimagining" of the series. So from what I can tell it might be an origin story, but not for the same Dante from the current Devil May Cry series. Besides, Devil May Cry 3 already did the younger Dante thing.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Sure it did, but Dante was already capable of his powers in that game.

I'm not going to say I'm not hesitant; while I'm not a "fan," DMC has been a series with two great games and two mediocre ones, and I'm anxious to see what Team Ninja can do with the property.

It may be a "reboot" and a "reimagining," but that doesn't spell death to the series, or ignore its established canon. And from what I understand (developer interviews and the like), it won't be ignoring that stuff.

Wolfgang
Gamer
Gamer
Well, Dante's had his powers essentially from birth, in the first scene from Devil May Cry he says "Even as a child I had powers." So it seems odd to imply that he needs more of an origin story to develop them.

And while I'm not saying it will be the death of the series, so far it seems to be doing a pretty good job of avoiding looking anything like the series. I'm also not particularly optimistic considering I've not heard good things about Team Ninja's work on Metroid: Other M.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Haha, that was my mistake. It's Ninja Theory that's working on the DMC game, not Team Ninja. Had them backwards in my head for some reason.

Ninja Theory worked on Heavenly Sword and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, not Metroid.

And honestly, all that stupidity that was driving possible players (like me) away from the games will hopefully be wiped out. Seriously, I couldn't stand how badly written, badly acted and altogether poorly done most of the story sequences in the DMC games that I played were. They had me rolling my eyes, far more than MGS ever has.

At least MGS deals with heady, intelligent topics. DMC is all about shooting things up and then whining about what your demon father, Sparta, left you with. Oh noez.

Case in point:

Drewsov
CCGR addict
Also, if it were Team Ninja, you shouldn't be worried.

They did the highly acclaimed, highly regarded Ninja Gaiden series, and that's not a pedigree to scoff at.

Kendrik
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Drewsov wrote:Haha, that was my mistake. It's Ninja Theory that's working on the DMC game, not Team Ninja. Had them backwards in my head for some reason.
Oh thanks. Phew. I was worried for a moment. I's like...

YOU GOT YOUR NINJA GAIDEN IN MY DEVIL MAY CRY

Don't get me wrong. I love Ninja Gaiden, and though there are similarities between the series, they're totally different beasts. I'd be mad hesitant if Team Ninja were on it. Just because that's what I do.

As with most games, I'm putting this one on my "not gonna bother caring until there's something worth caring about one way or the other" list. Cuz... so far? Ain't worth caring about.
Wolfgang
Gamer
Gamer
Drewsov wrote:And honestly, all that stupidity that was driving possible players (like me) away from the games will hopefully be wiped out. Seriously, I couldn't stand how badly written, badly acted and altogether poorly done most of the story sequences in the DMC games that I played were. They had me rolling my eyes, far more than MGS ever has.

At least MGS deals with heady, intelligent topics. DMC is all about shooting things up and then whining about what your demon father, Sparta, left you with. Oh noez.

Case in point:
Story is a funny thing in games. Sometimes it matters, sometimes not so much. I've never really had much of a problem with DMC's story (two exceptions being all of DMC2 and that bit from the first). I think the fact that Dante is as much a game character in story sequences as in gameplay probably helps. I mean he can take an insane amount of damage in both settings (unlike other characters which can take tons of damage in gameplay segments but a single hit means death or disabled in a story sequence). And quite honestly his cocky attitude tends to reflect my own going into boss fights (not necessarily after they get started or are over however >_>).

Though, I don't see where you're getting the whining. His father comes up a lot, but then it makes enough sense what with him being such a big shot and the source of Dante's powers. He never really whines about it; though he probably mocks it a bit.

And of course, from what I've heard of MGS any sort of comparison between the two is highly out of place.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Wolfgang wrote:And of course, from what I've heard of MGS any sort of comparison between the two is highly out of place.
In that they're both nigh-incomprehensible stories from famed Japanese developers? Because, that's what I meant. ;)