Romans

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.journeychurchonline.org/adobe/romans.pdf

1. Key Words: LORD, called, God, Jesus Christ

2. I think of humbled when I hear servant. Jesus came to serve and not to be served. Most want to be served.

the gospel he promised beforehand through his
prophets in the Holy Scriptures 3regarding his
Son, who as to his human nature was a
descendant of David, 4and who through the
Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be
the Son of God by his resurrection from the
dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.
Jesus a descendant of David, died and rose again in fulfillment of scriptures

4. by fulfilling prophecy, he's proven to be the Messiah

5. To be called is an invitation for fellowship with God. We are not called for our works but by God's grace. Those who are called belong to Jesus.

6. Holy, Human, Resurrected from the dead

7. fulfillment of prophecy

8. God raised him from the dead and exalted Him

9. To do his will and share the gospel with the gentiles.

10. gentiles

I consider myself a servant of Christ, this site is one of the fruits and part of my calling. The funny thing I wasn't much of a gamer before that. :\ I was raised Catholic but had doubt and accepted Christ as my savior at 15.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
1) Gospel, Jesus Christ, Son.

2) A: I think of someone, through debt, coercion or love, doing something that's not particularly glamorous for someone else.

B: It's a way to become a leader.

C: Many people assume that being a servant makes you of lower value, or worth less.

3) That it was promised from the beginning of time, and told about His Son.

4) Not only to prove that Jesus was the messiah, but to show that God had planned his death and resurrection. It wasn't something that went wrong.

5) A: To call others, God calling us to Himself, God calling us for a specific purpose. God calling others. The purpose of God's call is for us to know Him.

B: That it came from before time, it's not for anything we have done, but God's own purposes, through Christ.

C: That he wants us to belong to Him?

6) That humanly, he was born in the line of David, but spiritually, He was God's Son, confirmed by His miracles.

7) To fulfill the promise of a Davidic king given from God...a long time previous.

8) That he was God's holy, chosen son. He told the truth.

9) Because otherwise, he was a liar. He claimed it was from God. Not only that, but it fully accredited his word.

10) To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints.

I think of myself as a servant, but not the best one. My life and attitude usually reflect this. But I'm changing.

I grew up in a christian home, and gave my life to Christ at age four. Or thought I did. I surely didn't act like it. At 17 I picked up my bible and actually started reading it. I realized that I wasn't really "saved". Or at least didn't really care about God. He was up there, I was down here. I think I'm just now realizing how important He is...the only reason to really live.
Keero
Go ahead and continue, I'll edit this post when I'm not so inundated with work. :wink:
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
When you go on a trip, do you like to plan everything out ahead of time, or just get in the car and go? I try to plan as much as possible

If you could spend one week anywhere in the world, and cost: Japan

1. keywords: gospel, faith, righteous

2. To share the gospel with gentiles and jews, impart spiritual gifts, harvest believers

3. We are obligated to preach the gospel

4. God's will is for people to hear and believe the gospel, Paul used to be attack Christians and hated the gospel but not anymore.

5. God's promise and salvation is powerful, it changes lives and is real

6. God wants to be revealed to the gentiles and the jews

7. a. Christ dies was buried, rose again and was seen by 500 witnesses
b. Jesus is the way and the truth, no other way..if we preach the gospel, we share the only way for salvation

8. We are justified by faith, not by works....laws and righteousness come from God and from knowledge of Him

9. The gospel is for people of all nations but not everyone believes it

10. not ashamed, not afraid

WE should seek encouragement from Christian brothers and sisters. I usually do. It's good to get Biblically sound advice and support. I have great respect for the pastors and missionaries who share the gospel with everyone they meet. I don't see serving God as a chore but I am rather shy and try not to be too preachy. I guess I let my actions speak louder than my words. :\ I'm not ashamed by the gospel but ashamed of those who give Christians a bad rap
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I do it both ways. Mostly, I plan to go on a trip though. I would head to Japan.

1) Gospel, God Greek and Gentiles.

2) To encourage one another, and spread the Gospel to the people to whom he was called

3) He was obligated because God called him. I think we have obligations from God, but not all to the same thing.

4) Paul wasn't ashamed to speak the Gospel because it was the one true way to know God, and bring true happiness, and safety. He had to state he was not ashamed because those who were "perishing" would count it as stupid foolishness.

5) The words of the Gospel are God breathed, they're coming from God.

6) That God see's and knows those who He has sent to speak it, and that it reveals righteousness from God.

7) A: That it brings life and is truth.

B: The verses tell us that Jesus is the only way to reach heaven, and that the Gospel is all about Him. It relates to Romans in the fact that God and Jesus are one, so by displaying the righteousness of God, it shows Christ too.

8) Righteousness is not revealed in us, we don't have it. It's revealed by God.

9) The gospel is not limited to one race or people. God saved the entire planet. But it's limited in that we have to accept and believe it. God saved us, but He isn't going to force us to serve Him.

10) That he is faithful, and holds steadfastly to God. He considers the gospel his job, not something he does just for fun.

We should probably go to other believers. Usually, this isn't what I do. I have trouble trusting people. I don't have a pastor, but I will try to trust others more. Sometimes I do feel like being a Christian is just something I do, not what I am. I have trouble getting rid of this feeling. Ashamed? Not really. But afraid to share...
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
For me roughing it would be camping with no internet. ;) I constantly praise God for beautiful scenery, nice weather, stars everything worthy of praise. I think of him whenever I'm outdoors.

1. God shows us his presence by his creation..I can't fathom how everything can just "fall into place" without a creator.
2. People should give thanks
3. the worship other things God created instead of God Himself
4. Gods response was letting them have unnatural sexual relations, wickedness
5. They continue to sin because they think it's okay and others approve of it
6. homosexuals
7. they don't believe in God but mankind's "wisdom"
8. break one sin and you're still a sinner like everyone else
9. mankind fails at idolatry, not honoring God, adultery, murder and lying so at least half the commandments are broken in this passage

I think Paul's observation is pretty spot on. People still have a conscience and know generally what's right and what's wrong. Everybody still falls short by sinning. There's a lot of homosexual pride and acceptance today. :( I think if people took a good look around they would realize the precision and divine influence in all of creation.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Open:

I enjoy getting back to nature for the most part. Some of the most peaceful times I've had were walking along the lake side with family and friends. To be fully honest though...I like toilets. Waking up with water falling from the sky and hitting the entire surface of a lake I was at was amazing. It was me, my dog, and though I did not realize it at the time, my God. Mountains take my breath away.

1. His love, though by His son and not nature. Through nature, He reveals someone powerful, hyper intelligent and creative beyond measure. His glory, for short.

2. Give glory to Him.

3. They claimed to be wise, but the became fools.

4. God gave them over to their own destruction.

5. Because their thinking became as foolishness. Their hearts were darkened.

6. Sinners, because the capacity for this is in all of us. In this case, maybe just those that deny the gospel?

7. Forgetfulness and/or hatred.

8. That everyone is this way. All are evil, no one is sinless. To act better than a "sinner" you set yourself up to fall.

9. Commandments: You shall have no other God/You shall not make for yourself an idol/You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God/Observe the sabbath day by keeping it holy/Honor your father and your Mother/You shall not commit adultery/you shall not steal/you shall not give false testimony against your neighbors/You shall not covet.

Behavior: They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and
depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant, and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Close:

I don't think most people would agree with Paul's evaluation. I think many would admit that there are people out there like that, but claim they them selves aren't. And even then, loath to apply that label on someone.

I have trouble answering that question. I know the answer is there, but I have trouble grasping it. Best shot: I would say that the argument is coming from the perspective that people are good in nature, and not the twisted evil we are.

Disobeying your parents, homosexuality, hiding God's word, God hating, and perhaps deceit.

I think it depends on the person. Some people are willing to dismiss nature as blind chance.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
When you were growing up, which parent was the disciplinarian? The "softy"? Which
one do you most resemble now in your relationships with your own children?

My mom watched us more so she did most of it, my dad was to be feared and we got familiar with the belt.

Did you ever get punished by your parents for something one of your brothers or sisters
did, or vice versa?

My parents once punished me for something they realized later that I did not do. They basically said sorry, consider that spanking for something we did not catch you for

1. People who judge are not innocent themselves, all will be judged by God, it's his job not ours

2. we're hypocrites, God will judge

3. God's grace is what saves us, if we want to please and honor God we will do good works

4. Jesus is the judge, everyone will be judged

5. words, thoughts, works

6. eternal life for believers

7. cursed with devil and his angels

8. Yes because they have a conscience and know right from wrong

Too many people rely on works. God no longer shows favoritism, jews and gentiles will be judges alike. It's hard not to judge people but it's not our job. It's scary that our hearts and thoughts will be judged, I can get away with it for now....but I am ashamed what pops in my head at times. :(
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Growing up, my Dad was the disciplinarian, but oddly, I got into trouble most often with my Mom. And thankfully, I have no childrens. I got punished for some stuff my sisters did, and I sure it happened both ways. Normally, we were both guilty though. XD

1) They pass judgment on themselves because they do the same things. And that since everyone has sinned, only the sinless is in position to judge.

2) In Matthew, we're told not to judge because the speck in our brothers eye is nothing compared to the plank in our own. It's also funny/sad that we could see the speck but somehow miss the tree growing out of our heads. In Romans and James, it's because God is the master, and how high would we have to consider ourselves to judge someone else' servant?

3) Because by my acts, you know what type of tree I am. Righteousness comes by faith, but faith without works is dead.

4) Who will be the judge? Jesus Christ.

Who will be judged? Every person. All will have to bow before God.

What will be judged? Every thought, action and deed done by men.

What will be the outcome for believers? Eternal life and lasting rewards.

What will be the outcome for unbelievers? Eternal punishment, anger and fire.

5) They will be condemned for breaking the law, because God gave us a law built into our natures. Doing something wrong, we know that.

Closing:

Some of the things people rely on are doing good works. They want to earn their way to heaven. Some people believe that God will accept them for who they are. God's patience lead them to become judgmental. God's patience, kindness and tolerance...I dunno. From the main standpoint, I haven't been struck by lightning, so I can see them clearly in that way. Yes, the questions struck a chord...Though I rarely admit it, I struggle with being judgmental. Perhaps not on the outside, but in my thoughts. The thought that God will judge my secrets...makes me uncomfortable, in the least.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I was raised Catholic and I remember getting all the sacraments like communion, confirmation and going to church every Sunday.

1. Law bearers and hypocrites

2. Jews were so focused on the acts but not the meaning behind them and they broke the laws they spoke about.

3. It's not about the procedure but the motives behind it.

4. Judgment, perish without the law

The law will not justify us, but by faith we are justified

We are not under the law but by grace. We are to love one another

5. What advantage does the Jew have?
Yes, being a Jew has many advantages. First of all, the Jews were entrusted with the whole revelation of God.

What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness?
Of course not! Though everyone else in the world is a liar, God is true. As the Scriptures say, "He will be proved right in what he says, and he will win his case in court."

But if our unrighteousness brings out God's righteousness more clearly, what shall we say?
That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? (I am using a human argument.) God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world? (we shouldn't sin to make God look good)

Someone might argue, “If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?”
If you follow that kind of thinking, however, you might as well say that the more we sin the better it is! Those who say such things deserve to be condemned, yet some slander me by saying this is what I preach!

6. Advantages of being Jewish, Following the law, Circumcision, Obeying the law

Priests take a vow of celibacy, that never made sense to me. There are clearly many who have trouble with this vow. I assume many misunderstood Paul if he had to clarify and even play devils advocate. People haven't changed much and still think works is greater than faith and that following the law without their heart in it is okay. There are also others who just break the law to defy God....go figure....
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
What I most remember most growing up is memorizing verses for treats, the answer to every question in my book was Jesus, and kids were cruel...

1) Arrogance, and reliance upon themselves.

2) The law is about love for God, not following nit picky details and a circumcision.

3) A promise of faith.

4)

A. The law shows us what sin is. It also shows us what God finds OK and not OK.

B. The Law cannot bring righteousness.

C. We're not held under it. Christ fulfilled the law so that we might live under Grace.

5)

A. Paul asked what the advantage of being a Jew was; The Jew's are God's chosen people, entrusted with the law to be priests for all nations. (Ex 19:6)

B. Paul asked if your lack of faith will break God's faithfulness. The answer is no. God will never leave or forsake us.

C. Paul questioned whether or not God was unjust in bringing his wrath on us because our sin makes God's glory shine all the more. The answer is no. God's holiness is without question, and he has no evil in him. He is the only one capable of calling judgment down, because He Himself has never done anything requiring judgment.

D. Should we keep sinning in order to make God's grace all the greater? No. There's probably a reasonable response to this, but all I'm coming up with is "Wow. That's really dumb."

6. God's justice, and rightness in how He handled our sin.

Some things people rely on to claim superiority over others? Sadly, the Bible. Christians claim to follow every word and law to the detail, making them good people...Point is missed. I think there was definitely misunderstanding. To some people (even now in today's world) the fulfilling of the law seems like an excuse to do whatever you want, and it not be wrong. I don't really know, actually. I'd assume people claim it's dogmatic and untrue, a nice story but not fact.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
As a kid I was spanked, grounded and sent to the corner. My dad and his belt were to be feared. As for my kids, we don't use a belt but they get sent to the corner, spanked and have their favorite toys taken away as punishment.

1. We are ALL under sin, ALL have turned away, WHOLE WORLD accountable to God

There is NO ONE righteous, not even one. There is NO ONE who understands, NO ONE who seeks God. There is NO ONE who does good, not even one. Therefore NO ONE will be declared righteous

We all have sinned and will be held accountable.

2. throat, tongue, lips, mouth, feet, blood, eyes

People curse and speak lies, wage wars and don't honor God.

3. The law makes us accountable to God, it will not declare us righteous.

4. The law, we have nothing in our defense

5. Righteousness from God, comes from faith in Jesus Christ, available to anyone who believes and has faith in Him

6. It's available to Jews AND gentiles

7. Jesus' death atoned for all sin, paid our debt, suffered for us.

8. We broke Gods law but our punishment has already administered to Jesus in our place. God's justice prevailed.

People haven't changed much, there is still a lot of war, hypocrites and selfish idolatrous people put there.

When mankind first sinned, God demanded the blood of an innocent be shed, this was accomplished through a lamb sacrifice. Christ was the ultimate sinless sacrifice so blood atonement is no longer necessary. The future we all have is to be judged and pardoned by Christ himself. Many people boast of works and good deeds instead of faith in Christ. I realized being a good person wasn't enough when I turned 15. I always considered myself a good person with flaws but I don't think I do things deliberately to make God happy I just try to follow His example. If I do things to glorify Him and not myself then He'll be happy. As for God's grace in my life...I'm alive, have wonderful family friends, my hubby has a job I'm very blessed indeed. I'm not entitled to anything.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I got spanked until I was about 13, then grounded and had stuff taken away. I actually preferred the spankings, as it lasted only a few minutes. Lack of videro games was a worse fate. XD It was done out of love, though...I will never buy the line "this hurts me more than it hurts you" though. I don't have children. I wouldn't have the foggiest about punitive measures.

1. The inclusive terms tell us that every person will be held to an account. The exclusive terms say that no person is good enough to be righteous. It's can't happen.

2. Throat, tongue, lips, mouths feet and eyes.

The throat, tongue and lips spew death, destruction and poison. Mouths contain curses. The feet don't run to spread joy, but chaos and death. Eyes have no fear of God.

3. The law tells us what sin is, but it does not bring us righteousness.

4. God's word.

5. They come from God, apart from the law. The are obtained by faith in Jesus to all who believe.

6. That it applies to all people; there are none who are excluded.

7. God did not break the law He set down. The sin had to be payed for, so He payed for it with His own Son.

8. Following the law meant you trusted God. A sacrifice was needed to atone. God provided that in Jesus.

I think the large view of today is that people are inherently good. Paul's view contrasted that completely. I think on some level it's because admitting you sinned means admitting that their is a higher authority than your own. But moreso, people just want to believe that they, and others, are good.

God couldn't do that because it would have been breaking his own Law, meaning He wasn't just.

I think so, yes. Many people take God's patience to mean He isn't coming, but the eventual outcome will be judgment.

Saying that what we've done will earn our ticket to heaven.

I dunno, actually. I still have trouble with that. I know I can never save myself, but I still have the tendency to try and earn my salvation. So I try to do stuff like that (and fail miserably. If it were something I had to earn, I never would be able to.)

The impact...he's forgiving me when I stumble, and though I can't always feel His presence, I know He will never leave me.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I was the oldest so I didn't have any siblings to look up to. I looked up to my aunt's friend that used to live with her. Gos is the only one capable of keeping all of His promises. Humans try but often fail.

1. a great nation, an heir, father of nations

2. trusting God credited as righteousness, before he was circumsized, it's by faith and not the law

3. many try to be justified by works, law or birthright

4. the nation of Israel

5. anyone with faith can be a recipient

6. Abraham didn't believe that his wife could bare him a child at her age...yet she did

Although I was raised catholic my grandma made me question their doctrine and research my faith and accept Christ as my savior. My family didn't like it at first but they accept my faith now. Some even have converted :)

I've been getting hit pretty hard with bills lately but God has been providing some extra income and possible side jobs and advertising opportunities. So I'm trusting that He has my back.

I pray/ask for things but I trust His will over mine. He often does better than I asked for in the first place :P

Every new bill makes it harder to trust but I still do

God understands and it's awesome that with all the problems in the world He has time to listen and help me.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
If you name a male superhero, I probably wanted to be them. Not that I have anything against the female superheroes, I just didn't want to be one. Batman, Wolverine and Nightcrawler were my top three, though. Luke Skywalker, too. I also had a best friend who was pretty much everything I wanted to be.

The only person I know of is Jesus. My family would keep their word if possible, but everyone fails sometimes.

1)

A: "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

B: Then the word of the LORD came to him: "This man will not be your heir, but a son coming from your own body will be your heir." He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars--if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."

C: "As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, And you will be the father of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you. I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you. I will give to you and to your descendants after you, the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God."

2) Abraham's righteousness was imparted to him before circumcision, through his belief of God. Abraham knew that his body was old, and that he would never be able to raise up a family. Let alone a nation. But God had promised him, and he trusted God. Circumcision was a sign of faith, not something that gave righteousness.

3) It was important because Paul needed to show that the Law only showed what sin was, it didn't bring righteousness. If Abraham was justified by the law rather than faith, then his argument was worthless.

4) The Jews thought he was their father (physically). In reality, he is the father of all who have faith in Jesus.

5) That they apply to those who walk in faith like Abraham.

6) Abraham found it difficult to trust in God because he and Sarah both were so old. But God never lies.

Both of my parents are Christians, so I'm not honestly sure. My grandfather has played a huge role too. I'm mostly blundering about in the area of spiritual parenthood though.

I'm aware of times in my life when the things that God has said were fulfilled, but I ignored them or let them fly past me. He has, however, always kept me fed and clothed. And in moments where I was deeply afraid, offered my comfort. Or helped me through something I saw as adversity. I'm trusting Him for less than I should. So many things I try to accomplish under my own power. Mostly, that He will guide my life and use it to His purpose.

Trusting Him for something is believing that He will uphold what He has said; asking Him for something is coming before Him with a need. It's hard for me to trust God in my life. As much as I want Him to use it for His will, I'm always slightly afraid I'll end up working on the Subway sandwich line until I retire.

He Himself is the most reassuring thing, really. I know many times I would've caved if He hadn't come along and grabbed my hand.