Proverbs

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
1) Treasures from the wicked profit nothing: but righteousness delivers from death.

2) That it will never go hungry.

3) The memory of the just is blessed.

4) The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.

5) Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

6) In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.

7) The way of the LORD.

My favorite verse: Proverbs 10: 8 "The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall."

I like that because I think it means that if I keep wisdom in my heart, God will guide me.

Also, I have another verse in this chapter memorized, but I didn't recognize it in the KJV format. :D
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
22. Proverbs 11:1 - What is an abomination to the Lord? cheating
23. Proverbs 11:8 - Who is delivered out of trouble? the righteous
24. Proverbs 11:14 - “Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.”
25. Proverbs 11:30 - “The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.”

favorite verse: Pro 11:28 He that trusteth in his riches shall fall: but the righteous shall flourish as a branch.

It's sad how many people trust in money or themselves...so many that rely on themselves forget about God and His blessings
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
1) A false balance.

2) The righteous are delivered out of trouble.

3) Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of councilors there is safety.

4) The fruit of the righteous is the tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

Favorite verse: Proverbs 11:2 "When pride comes then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."

I needed to read that.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
it's amazing how the Bible speaks to us and often gives us what we need at the right time.

I once sensed that I was getting too prideful at work and prayed for humility, later that day I accidentally erased a person's hard drive instead of backing it up...I was humbled alright...
JesusFreak!!!
Noob
Noob
oh neat! I totally didn't see this thread before! It seems you two are the only ones lol.
I don't know how much I'll be able to get on, but I'll try my best.
And I know this isn't the chapter your on right now, but In devotions this morning There were a couple verses from Proverbs that really stood out to me.
Proverbs 14:17 He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated.
That first part is really true, I know that for us guys (I'm assuming both of you are) Anger can be a real problem sometimes, but just like ccgr prayed for God to help with pride, we can do the same thing with anger.
And verse 23 as well, In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.
Even if we feel like our work isn't really accomplishing anything, like it's futile or useless, it's still profiting us, even if not physically, it builds character.
Sorry if this was kinda' off topic or sounds like spammin', but I don't know how much I'll be able to be on here, and since I just read that I thought I'd share.
What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus Freak?!
What will people do when they find that it's true?!
I don't really care if they label me a Jesus Freak!!
There ain't no disguising the truth!!
"why am I in your sig?"-airpa
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
ccgr wrote:it's amazing how the Bible speaks to us and often gives us what we need at the right time.

I once sensed that I was getting too prideful at work and prayed for humility, later that day I accidentally erased a person's hard drive instead of backing it up...I was humbled alright...
Yeah, I've been amazed. I started reading the Bible about two years ago, and only then did I realize what an Amazing God, God is.

JF, it's not Spam. ^_^ You make a a lot of good points.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
welcome JesusFreak! Good post it's not spamming at all! Good point on the anger :)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. Proverbs 12:1 - How is the man that hates reproof described? stupid
2. Proverbs 12:2 - What does a good man obtain from the Lord? favor
3. Proverbs 12:4 - What is a virtuous woman to her husband? crown
4. Proverbs 12:5 - What are the thoughts of the righteous? right
5. Proverbs 12:7 - “The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.”
6. Proverbs 12:12 - What will the root of the righteous yield? fruit
7. Proverbs 12:15 - To what will the wise man hearken? counsel
8. Proverbs 12:24 - Whose hand shall bear rule? dilligent
9. Proverbs 12:27 - What is precious to a diligent man? substance

favorite verse: Pro 12:4 A virtuous woman [is] a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed [is] as rottenness in his bones.

As a wife I tend to relate to this and I think I'm a pretty good wife..not perfect but good :)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) He is described as brutish.

2) A good man obtains favor from the LORD.

3) A crown.

4) the thoughts of the righteous are right.

5) "The wicked are overthrown, and are not."

6) The root of righteousness will yield fruit.

7) The wise man will listen to counsel.

8) The hand of the diligent.

9) His substance.

Favorite verse: Proverbs 12: 15 (NIV) The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.

I struggle (or sometimes don't) with pride, so I need this verse to remind me to listen to others, as I don't know the best way every time.
JesusFreak!!!
Noob
Noob
1. The man who hates reproof is Brutish
2. A good man obtains favor from the Lord
3. A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband
4. The thoughts of the righteous are right
5. The wicked are overthrown
6. The root of the righteous will yield fruit
7. He that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise
8. The hand of the diligent shall bear rule
9. The substance of a diligent man is precious.

Favorite verse: 12:15
same reason as chozon1

But another couple I like are 12:7 The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.
and 12:28 In the way of righteousness is life: and in the pathway thereof there is no death.
I think those two verses relate to each other very well. Verse 7 is reminding us of a promise, and then verse 28 elaborates as to why it's true.
What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus Freak?!
What will people do when they find that it's true?!
I don't really care if they label me a Jesus Freak!!
There ain't no disguising the truth!!
"why am I in your sig?"-airpa
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
10. Proverbs 13:4 - What of the diligent shall be made fat? soul
11. Proverbs 13:10 - What is the root of contention? pride
12. Proverbs 13:16 - “Every prudent man dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open his folly.”
13. Proverbs 13:19 - What is sweet to the soul? desire accomplished
14. Proverbs 13:20 - “He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.”

favorite verse: Pro 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

As a parent I'm required to discipline my kids, it's not easy to do and I can see why many kids get spoiled, you gotta love and discipline or else they will not respect or listen to you
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) A wise women.

2) He that walketh in his uprightness feareth the LORD: but he that is perverse in his ways despiseth him.

3) Fools make a mockery of sin.

4) the prudent man.

5) He that despiseth his neighbor sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.

6) The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Favorite verse: Proverbs 14: 29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.

That's my verse of this week because I get angry really easily. This is a reminder that it's not only a bad idea, but I'll look dumb too.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) The soul of the diligent will be made fat.

2) The root of contention is pride.

3) Every prudent man dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open his folly.

4) Desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.

5) He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.

Favorite verse: Proverbs 13: 10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

Another verse on pride. One that comes true with me a lot. I tend to get into arguments, and I wonder if it's because of my pride.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proverbs 14:1 - What kind of woman builds her house? wise
16. Proverbs 14:2 - “He that walketh in his uprightness feareth the LORD: but he that is perverse in his ways despiseth him.”
17. Proverbs 14:9 - Who makes a mock of sin? fools
18. Proverbs 14:15 - Who looks well to his going? prudent
19. Proverbs 14:21 - “He that despiseth his neighbor sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.”
20. Proverbs 14:27 - “The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Favorite verse: Pro 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.

So often we hold God to our standards but we don't have that right, he can't mold God to our liking and his rules are for our best interest. Many people view the commandments as optional. It's sad to see what is viewed as "Okay" in this society. It's only going to get worse..
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) A Wise women

2) He that walketh in his uprightness feareth the LORD: but he that is perverse in his ways despiseth him.

3) Fools make a mock of sin.

4) The prudent man.

5) He that despiseth his neighbor sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.

6) The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Favorite verse: Proverbs 14: 29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.

I get angry pretty easy. And I really shouldn't. I need to work on my understanding.

Also, thank you for putting that in writing, CCGR. I kind of skipped over that verse and didn't comprehend it until I read your explanation.

And...it seems I did the wrong chapter, then forgot to delete it, but posted 13 above it. :D