Verse Memorization

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
GarthVader
VIP Member
VIP Member
I exhort you to challenge yourself and memorize 5 verses this week!
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Easy.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Kendrik
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Nice use of "exhort." I approve. XD

I like this idea, Garth. I like it a lot.

Now... my turn...

I exhort you to come up with two verses a week that build upon a central theological theme (salvation, grace, righteousness, etc.). Start us off small and work up. Memorization should be about personal growth... not achievements... so starting small is a good way to get those of us who aren't memorization whizzes building up speed.
GarthVader
VIP Member
VIP Member
Good idea... But that's why I said five verses, you can do it! :wink:

Hey, why not memorize Psalms 23? It's six verses, but still...
Kendrik
CCGR addict
GarthVader wrote:Good idea... But that's why I said five verses, you can do it! :wink:

Hey, why not memorize Psalms 23? It's six verses, but still...
lulz

"Try two verses a week."

"Memorize Psalm 23... it's six verses."

lolwat? ;)

Just playing. Sure... it's plenty possible to jump into five verses of memorization a week, but many of us haven't been working on memorizing any. Smaller, bite sized chunks at first... I think that'll get more people involved.

So... I dunno about everyone else... but I'ma do this: Memorize Psalm 23 by the end of the year.

Cool thing about Psalm 23 (beyond it's rather common familiarity) is that it flows in a way that makes memorization easier.

What say you, Garth? Wanna try your hand at a systematic approach to Scripture memorization that tackles 2-3 verses a week and revolves around a central theme for a bit of next year?
GarthVader
VIP Member
VIP Member
Sure, I'll try.
GarthVader
VIP Member
VIP Member
Alright, memorize Galatians 2:20 and 2 Corinthians 5:17.
JesusFreak!!!
Noob
Noob
Hey, please don't take this as pride on my part, but rather more of a testimony.
so basically over the past couple years I've gotten into a pretty rigorous Bible memorization routine. And you have no idea how much it has done for me! even if I don't remember everything, there are several key verses I memorize that always stick with me. They come to mind throughout the day in various situations and it's a real encouragement!
I just wanted to encourage you all to try it, you don't have to necessarily blow your fuse with scripture, but do something like Garth suggested, a few verses a week. And maybe see if you could get 1 medium sized chapter done per month that way. Galatians is a pretty good book to start on, and has allot of valuable verses.W ithin 6 months you could have memorized the whole book!
What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus Freak?!
What will people do when they find that it's true?!
I don't really care if they label me a Jesus Freak!!
There ain't no disguising the truth!!
"why am I in your sig?"-airpa
owlcity10
Noob
Noob
I'll just share some things which have helped me memorize Scripture more easily, I say the same short phrase over and over, then the next one over and over and then when those are memorized after saying them 40 times each then I put the two verses together and say those together over and over 40 times, then repeat the same process with the next short phrase and add it onto the previous two verses and so on. Studies show that saying it quickly helps you to memorize quicker. Same for recording your voice saying Scripture, record yourself saying the verses you're learning as fast as you can then replay and replay, you'll be amazed how quick the verses will go into your mind and stay there. Carry around a little piece of paper with the verses written down and take it out whenever you're waiting somewhere or sitting down or ironing or whatever, just take it out and memorize even as you're doing dishes. Have to say I have had some help with all of these suggestions, I learned them from a lady who has almost all of the New Testament memorized herself. Seriously, she has been doing this for years and is now so good at it. Her name is Susan Heck. She has written about it also. So yeah these things have really been helping me learn it. Oh and she really recommends an accountability partner, she said that made all the difference for her personally to become really successful at it. :)
thelegend2004
Noob
Noob
I encourage all of my youth to memorize the Roman Road (Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, and 10:8-10) This lays out a simply understanding of the plan of salvation. This is something every Christian should be able to explain to someone.
TenorNegative
Noob
Noob
A really good verse to memorize is Psalm 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
marti(a)n
Noob
Noob
This is a good idea to memorize scripture and the passages that I think we including myself should memorize these verses they are about the plan of salvation; Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23, Romans 5:8, Romans 10:9, Romans 10:10. These verses could be used as tools to help others know about Christ.
DallenMalna
So are we all supposed to try and memorize the same scriptures?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thsi thread originated in 2008, we can start up a new one with a different goal
DallenMalna
That sounds fine to me! On my own I've been memorizing Psalm 86 very slowly.