Verse study.

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Instead of a topic, why not try a verse study? (as Sparkey suggested, and probably a few others.)

So...any suggestions? If none in a day or so, I'll pick out something. Probably new testament.
BOwen
Noob
Noob
1 Cor 13:4-8
Rom 6:23
Eph 2:8
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo

http://www.brentowen.com
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
OK then. Good choices. I've picked Ephesians, but with a twist: We're going to study verse 8 and 9, because most people will come across them in that fashion.

Passage Ephesians 2:8:
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (ESV)
Lazarus
CCGR addict
So how does this work, Choz.?
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Good question.

You can either pick out a lesson you learn from the verse, then back it up with other scripture. Or you can simply explain some way this verse has affected your walk with God.

What we're trying to do is simple: look deeper into God's word, trying to understand him better.

And since that is our ultimate goal, I suggest a few study tools: a Bible, common sense, and prayer. :D

For example, verse eight seems to suggest that God gives us faith, it's not something from human origin.
BOwen
Noob
Noob
Are you reading that as faith is the gift?
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sorry it took so long to reply.

Yes; I am. And I'll tell you why. I typically read the NIV Bible, and in that, the period after "saved through faith." is actually a hyphen, so the verse reads:

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast."
BOwen
Noob
Noob
I read it as salvation is the gift we accept through our faith. Though in a sense things like faith and wisdom are often strengthed through prayer and trials so I can see the case for faith as a gift, just not how I read it here.

Though what I really like about this verse along with Rom 6:23 is our salvation is a gift. The nature of a gift is something given freely and cannot be earned through any act. Plus in order to possess a gift one must first accept it.

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Aye. I think that's something not stressed enough now a days. It's left as an underlying fact, and not given the limelight.
Side_Kik
Noob
Noob
My favorite Bible verse is: ....and the God of love and peace will be with you. 2nd Corinthians 13:11
Thryzar
Noob
Noob
I have always loved Matthew 6:34. It teaches me to leave the big stuff up to God, and not to sweat the small stuff.