"Spiritual Matters" and Building Faith

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
I'm wondering if some of the conversations that are in "Spiritual Matters" aren't better had here? My feeling is that, unless you actively want the input of non-believers, some conversations of importance, even debate, ought to be filtered here.

Christians need to debate things and hash issues out. Iron sharpens iron and all that. But that should be occurring in a, and I'm loathe to use the term because of how it's used to stifle speech, "safe" environment.

When the Church fathers debated issues of doctrine and such they didn't ask for, or expect, the input of pagans. For obvious reasons. Nor did they air their dirty laundry for non-believers the world over to see.

I think "CCG Bible Study" should be re-purposed to this end. Clearly it's not getting much use as designed and I think this refocus will bring more conversations here that will build up the faith of believers.

Threads over there like "What Does Baptism Do?", "Something I'd like to get into :P", "So, what about the Jewish people?", "Presbyterian Church endorses same-sex marriages" (if that isn't about the Church's dirty laundry I don't know what is!), and even my "The Rapture: The Hope of All Believers or Dangerous Heresy?" should really be over here, I think.

I also think the sub-heading to "Spiritual Matters" should be altered because, to the uninformed, it seems like the proper place to ask a question, and not the shooting gallery it actually it. "Spiritual Matters" really isn't the place to ask a question at all! Sure, there's a debate sub-forum, but it's largely vacant... and glancing at the titles of the things that are there, they seem like they should be here too.

That's just my two cents. Because, frankly, I want to have lively debates with my fellow believers, but "CCG Bible Study" doesn't seem like the intended place. And were I desiring the input of non-believers I'd post it in "Spiritual Matters" anyway.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
Wildebear
I think it's a great proposal.

I like to debate here with the assumption that I'm talking with Christians. I've been on a lot of other religious forums where atheists joined up and debated Christians/Muslims/Jews, but all those forums created a special area for the atheists to debate the religious folks. Here it feels like I'm unnecessarily engaging in arguments that shouldn't exist for a "Christ centered gamer".

The Bible explicitly addresses compromise("tolerance" in atheist terms). Don't let the foxes spoil the vineyard.
“Conquer yourself rather than the world.”
― René Descartes
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm okay with Christian only topics (site title and all...)
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
May I make a suggestion?

In a Facebook group I'm a member of we have a code for when we have something serious to discuss that we don't want to go off topic. For example when someone wants advice or encouragement about something, and they don't want the conversation to devolve into cat memes and dumb jokes, they'll post this code in the OP to let people know that they want to stay on topic. The code we use is DNDR (for Do Not Derail). Maybe we could do something similar here?

For example, let's say someone wants to discuss the book of Genesis, but they don't want the discussion to turn into a debate about whether or not the creation story is literal or metaphorical. They could put this code in the topic to indicate that they aren't interested in debating. They could name the topic "The Book of Genesis (DNDR)" (or whatever the code you decide on should be). That would help people like me who aren't believers to know that we should tread lightly in the topic, and let the mods know to keep a tighter reign on the discussion that goes on there. On the other hand, if a Christian who accepts evolution wants to discuss why and is open to a little back and forth with people who disagree without going into full-blown debate mode, they could do this too.

I really think it's a bad idea to make a "No Non-believers Allowed" area, because some Christians have different ideas of what makes someone a believer. We have a few Mormons here for example, and many Protestants don't consider Mormons actual believers. You also might have atheists who want to learn more about Christianity, Christians who are having doubts, and anywhere in between. So where do you draw the line? And how do you draw that line without destroying the diversity that makes this forum interesting?

Anyway, that's my .02.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
selderane
Gamer
Gamer
The site is called "Christ Centered Gamer." The very name is exclusionary.

There is absolutely nothing wrong about having a Christian-only section. Not everyone needs to, or should, have a voice in all things. 99.999999% of the site maintains the diversity you want.

Literally every objection you've raised is covered by another forums on this site in some fashion. I am proposing no forum be removed.

It is not unreasonable to request a safe place from Christians to voice how they feel without fear of judgement from non-believers. You ask where to draw the line? "No Atheists." If that isn't a reasonable line then no reasonable line exists.

If an atheist comes around truly looking to learn more about the faith there is the entirety of the rest of the site to do that.

EDIT: Though I think CCGR's suggestion of a "Christians only" tag could be useful.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
We can either mark topics as CO or I can make a sub forum for Christian to Christian conversations. The resident non-believers I'm sure will respect that, as they have been totally respectful of the Bible study threads. There are times when people will want Biblical advice and many of the other topics are free reign and that's cool either way. The people on this site are great and have various mind sets and ideas that I could not come up with on my own.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I've never really had a problem with the way things are, so I guess I'm just going to post as per usual.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I guess a more PC approach would be to use a header (CIP), Christian Input Please. there are times when people will want Biblical views but I think most topics are meant to be open to everyone
UsagiGlen
Noob
Noob
I like the idea of designating certain topics as being for Christians only. For example, I may not necessarily want to get a non-Christian's input on the topic of how we as Christians should pray. I may want to discuss heaven with like-minded believers and experience the joy of anticipating our future in heaven, rather than getting bogged down in discussing whether reported near death experiences are actually religious hoaxes. The joy of fellowship with like-minded believers is difficult to experience while simultaneously practicing apologetics.

I will say that the Christians and non-Christians I've seen in the forums so far have been respectful and open to genuine discussion about Christianity. I appreciate the respect and maturity from both sides.

Is the CIP designation what we should officially use? I suspect people wouldn't always recognize what it means though, so I bet we'll have to type out the full phrase in the opening post of a topic.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
yeah unless it takes off we'll have to spell it out I think. The members here are reasonable and understanding. They're awesome :)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Just my 2 cents'...

As Bruce mentioned, sometimes the definition of a Christian is disputed. He mentioned Mormons, and I'm one of them... I consider myself a genuine Christian but I've seen that ruffle feathers in the Protestant community from time to time. So if I were to enter those discussions, would that create a problem for a "Christians only" section?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
While we have different view points I still consider you a follower of Christ. The purpose of (CIP) is to get biblical advice instead of general advice. Haven't seen anyone use this yet so whatevs.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Maybe a few examples out there will get it jumpstarted, because I do think it's a good idea.

Generally when discussion Scripture here, I try and stick to things we see the same way so as not to stir anything up. (Yeah, I know I used to not do that so well.) so if someone wanted Biblical advice specifically from a Protestant perspective, I'd keep quiet unless I knew it would coincide with what a Protestant would say anyway.

I figure if someone wants a Mormon perspective they'll ask for it. I don't come here to proselytize... That would be disrespectful in this environment, and Lord knows I'm not a worthy missionary anyway.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
ArcticFox wrote:Lord knows I'm not a worthy missionary anyway.

None of us are perfect, just forgiven :)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Amen.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens