Difficult Issues Bible Study

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
1. To replace a lost child would be neat but to raise a clone just for body parts is horrific. Cloning a "superior" race is playing God and not right either.

2. Psalm 139:13-15
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

Gen 2:7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.

3. If the body was cloned I think if it survived it would have a different soul and yes would be subject to God's laws

4. God created us, we're not to take that away from Him and replicate ourselves
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
1) God says that it is wrong most of the time.

Mark 10:9 Therefore, what God has joined together, man must not separate.

2) I believe so, yes. Matthew 18:32 and 1st Corinthians 7:10-16 seem to suggest it is OK in certain situations, though certainly unadvised. Boredom is not any kind of valid reason for divorce (the stuff in Corinthians had to do with unbelievers being married to believers). Abuse I believe is a valid reason. At the very least, it's grounds for leaving until the abuser straightens themselves out (or is straightened out, perhaps with a crowbar).

3) I think it is close to 50% now.

4) Probably not. In marriages where abuse is happening, or people are constantly fighting, certainly something needs to be done or fixed. I don't think divorce is always the best solution though, and it shouldn't be the mainstay solution. I know a lot of people who have been really hurt by their parents divorce; I also know a few who turned out happier for it.

5) For the record, this is the kind of list I normally wouldn't touch with a standard issue ten foot pole, and strictly out of fear. O_O

Husbands:
1) To love their wives like their own bodies
2) "Marital duty"
3) Provide for them
4) Honor them

Wives:
1) To be a pillar of support in their lives
2) Respect them
3) "Marital duty"
4) To aid them

6) Like how Jesus is to the church; it should be stunning, and unending.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. He's not for it. Matt 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

2. Yes God authorized it but only for (1) sexual immorality (Matthew 5:32; 19:9) and (2) abandonment by an unbeliever (1 Corinthians 7:15) Boredom is not justifiable. Physical abuse is a logical reason to file a restraining order and divorce.

3. I think it's around 50% but that seems rather high :(

4. If a marriage is salvageable it's in the children's best interest to save it and not divorce.

5. Wives are to submit to, respect, support and meet their husband's needs.
A husband should lead, love, sacrifice for and meet his wife's needs.

6. The church for which Christ died for. Marriage should be that important but we treat it casually these days.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
1) Yes. Romans 13:1 Everyone must submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist are instituted by God.

2) Uh...maybe. I'ma use Romans 13:1 again, because it clearly states that God places governments in authority. But at the same time, it seems like the court ruled in an area of religion, which it shouldn't be in. The court definitely also ruled against truth, even if in the name of protecting the children from harm.

3) Difficult. Intrinsically, yes. But it's really hard for me to say the dude shouldn't tell his kids the truth, or introduce them to God. 1st Peter 2:13: Submit to every human institution because of the Lord, whether to the emperor or the supreme authority.

4) Yes? No? Maybe? It'd be hard for them in that, eventually they'll figure out that if daddy is right, then mommy is wrong. At the same time, I cannot think of a more comforting, freeing, truth than knowing that God loves us.

They need to know Jesus, and I think the commands to teach your children about God are more important than a court order...at the same time, shoving it down their throats or slipping a bible under the door does not seem to be a good answer either. I think the dude's best option is to pray.

Fathers and mothers both have the responsibility (Exodus 20:12 implies both parents need to be obeyed); but I think especially dads (Ephesians 6:1: And fathers, don't stir up anger in your children, but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord) are specifically called to the task?

5) We're not supposed to. 2nd Corinthians 6:14: "Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. For what partnership is their between righteousness and lawlessness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?"

Plus, it tends to degrade your relationship with God.

6) I'd say so (Matthew 9:43-44). But also...no. People have a choice to make, and they can change their "destinies" any given moment while they draw breath.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. Yes we are according to Romans 13:1-7
2. I believe so we have a right to practice our religion the government should not interfere. God grants authority to the governments Rom 13:4 Ps 22:28
3. While we are called to submit to authorities if they are unbiblical then we should disregard them. According to Acts 5:29 we must obey God over the government.
4. I can only imagine it causing stress if the kids don't have any interest in going to church. It's the father's right to teach his children about his religion but it should not be forced upon them. Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
5. We should marry fellow believers. 2Cr 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
6. If they have heard the gospel and rejected it then yes. Mark 16:15-16
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) 1st Corinthians 6:9-10: Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be deceived: no sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, or swindlers will inherit God's kingdom.

1st Timothy 1:9-11: We know that the law is not meant for a righteous person, but for the lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinful, for the unholy and irreverant, for those who kill their fathers and mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral and homosexuals, for kidnappers, liars, perjurers, and for whatever else is contrary to sound teaching...

Leviticus 18:22: You are not to sleep with a man as with a women; it is detestable.

2) I think, though I struggle with it, we should love them, and treat them no differently than anyone else. We're all sinners.

3) I lean towards no. Regardless of how kind and loving they may be, they're going to teach their kid that homosexuality is good, which is a problem.

4) God disapproves of homosexuality, so homosexual marriages would also be wrong. (1st Corinthians 6:9-10, Leviticus 18:22)

5) Hard. Everyone needs a home, but...that home, when possible, needs to be a good one. If it would be wrong to adopt a child into a home where racism was taught to be a good thing, or where lying was taught as acceptable practice, why would it be OK to place a kid into a home where another sinful thing is taught as good?

6) Probably not. I imagine Patty will have a warm and safe home, but will also probably learn some lies. Long term? I think Patty's mom gets the best out of it.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. Disapproved. Lev 18:22 1 Cor 6:9-11 1 Tim 8:10
2, We are to treat them with respect. Hate the sin but love the sinner.
3. I don't agree with but I have no doubt they would be loved but I think a child is best reared with both a mother and a father.
4. Disapproved. Matt 19:4-6
5. The kids should be reared in loving and stable environments. I can't speak on how much better a state environment is opposed to a homosexual one though but it's a tough call regardless.
6. I doubt Patty will learn about God in her new home. The mother clearly thinks the arrangement is wonderful.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) Colossians 3:12 Therefore, God's chosen ones, holy and loved, put on heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience

Ephesians 4:32 And be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving one another, just as God also forgave you in Christ.

2) Deuteronomy 1:17 Do not show partiality when rendering judgment; listen to small and great alike. Do not be intimidated by anyone, for judgment belongs to God. Bring me any case too difficult for you, and I will hear it.

Psalm 96:10 Say among the nations: "The LORD reigns. The world is firmly established; it cannot be shaken. He judges the peoples fairly."

Sort of loose; but God clearly values honesty and truth. He's the source of it.

3) I 'spose it taught Miss Sales that her coach and team was looking out for her; It may have also taught her that earning things fairly isn't the only way to go about things. The previous record holder could have learned that working that hard didn't really matter, because someone's going to come along and take your title on a technicality anyway. At the end of the day, sometimes people are willing to be compassionate instead of following the strict concrete law (which can be good, but also bad).

4) I'm not sure. She earned her title 99% the hard way, and only because of a random accident couldn't score the final goal "the real way". I don't think the previous record holder has much to complain about, since it would likely have been beaten anyway. And it doesn't seem like the coach did a shady backroom deal or pay someone off. It was aboveboard, and honest and fair to both teams, since the score was essentially zero again. I'm not sure I can support it from scripture...Colossians 3:12 might fit, but maybe not. Fact is...she ran the race fairly until she tripped, when someone helped her walk the final step. I remain...uncertain.

5) Uh...yes. Though I'm having a very hard time thinking of one. O_o Probably...a large amount of money that is wastefully spent, and case in point, making something so easy, that the achiever learns nothing and has gained nothing.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. "Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?" Matt 18:33
"Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:" 1Peter 3:8

2: "The LORD demands accurate scales and balances; he sets the standards for fairness." Pro 16:11
"Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men." Romans 12:17

3. I think it shows compassion though it does bend the rules a little bit the opposing team was fine with arrangement though.

4. I'm not a basketball buff but I don't believe this was breaking any rules and the other team agreed to the terms. Each team had the same opportunity. I think this was more about compassion than cheating Matt 18:33

5. A lemon car and a failing hard drive

(I really didn't find this issue that difficult or thought provoking, it pales in comparison to gay adoption....)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
ccgr wrote:(I really didn't find this issue that difficult or thought provoking, it pales in comparison to gay adoption....)
(Agreed...I was wondering if I was just missing something. O_o)

1) Yes. I believe people are influenced by the music they listen to (very much so, I think). And I think godly people are influenced by psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. I know I feel stronger, more hopeful, encouraged, when I hear or sing them, and we're commanded to sing them as part of our spiritual lives (Ephesians 5:19).

2) It's in Acts 16:25. I do think the prisoners were affected, since they chose to stay in their cells. The jailer was affected too, sort of. Paul and Silas were definitely affected.

3) No. I wouldn't allow myself to purchase or listen to said album. XD For one thing, I hate the name. There's no call for that even if you are trying to be angsty counter-culture. Secondly...I just don't want that much rage and hate being poured into my ears. Let alone rage and hate that very likely is at least partially directed towards God.

4) Taboo generally means off-limits. In this case I imagine it's something a bit darker. We aren't supposed to participate in the works of darkness, but expose them. And it is shameful to even mention "what is done by them in secret". I think we're supposed to not think of evil stuff or talk about it.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. Most definitely, its easy to speed with some heavy or fast paced music blasting. Singing worship songs makes me forget my troubles.

1Cr 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

2. Acts 16 I think the prisoners and the guards were influenced by the singing

3. Definitely not. I can't think of a good reason to allow them to.

4. taboo: proscribed by society as improper or unacceptable. Don't do them and avoid them.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) To my understanding, it is performing abortions on select babies in the womb in order to increase the likelihood of the others surviving childbirth.

2) Probably Jeremiah 1:5, and Psalms 139:13-16.

3) At conception. Abortion means that the baby is killed before it reaches a certain date upon which it becomes "human".

4) Yes. They trusted God, even though the outcome could have been tragic.

5) I don't think it is ever right. Murder is never Ok'd in the bible, but constantly condemned (Exodus 20:13), and if God knew our days before we were born (Psalm 139:16), then to Him, we're already living humans, and loved in His sight.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. To kill some of the babies to give the others a better chance to thrive.
2. Psalm 127:3 Job 31:15
3. At conception. Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy.
4. Yes even though it may have complicated things, all seven survived.
5. I would only do it if a mother's life was in danger or the pregnancy was not viable (tubal pregnancy). It is ending a life and would be considered murder. It's not to be taken lightly and other methods of birth control should be used. Exodus 20:13 Matt 5:21
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) Bessinger. Our lives are in God's hands, not our own. And the struggles we'd kill ourselves over now will end one day on God's time. Sooner, or later, because things "Come to pass" not "come to stay".

2) Though not a technically definition, it means to end your life intentionally in a painless way.

3) Against it, Jeremiah 10:23, 2nd Corinthians 4:16-18, and perhaps Proverbs 20:24.

4) Jack Kevorkian. And suddenly, "Kevorkian complex" makes sense to me now.

5) That's a trickier question, I think. It's one thing to commit gentle suicide, it's another to force someone's body to stay alive when they otherwise are dead in all respects.

At the same time...miracles happen and people wake up from year long comas. People recover from irrecoverable things. So I don't know really.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. Emotionally Zeidler, morally Bessinger. I just pray for a swift death..ideally in my sleep :D

2. Intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain.

3. Deuteronomy 30:9-20, Romans 8:38-39

4. Jack Kavorkian

5. I don't think a person should be forced to live if they don't have a chance of leaving a vegetable state