The Parables of Jesus

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
The Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen

1) Jesus was teaching in the temple complex.

2) God, I think.

3) The world.

4) The Jewish people/leaders.

5) The prophets, I think.

6) The fruits of the vineyard. Good works, obedience, worship?

7) His son. The Son is Jesus.

8) His inheritance. Perhaps the kingdom?

9) Destroy them, and lease his property to others who will care for it and then give him the tribute. The Householder is God.

10) The nation of all who believe in God?

We need to care for the vineyard, but we also need to give God his tribute, and not try to keep it for ourselves.

Also, I apologize for missing two weeks.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
The parable of the Great Supper

1) Jesus had been invited to eat at the house of one of the leading Pharisees.

2) God; Heaven, I think.

3) The scribes and the pharisees. The people who are "supposed" to go to heaven.

4) The first had bought a field, and had to go see it. I think putting too much stock in out possessions, focusing on them over God. The second had bought some new Ox, and wanted to try them out. I think this would be focusing too much on the stuff we do, or our work. The third had recently gotten married, and was unable to come. This, I think, would be putting other people over God.

5) The poor, the maimed, the blind and the lame; the local "broken" or unwanted people of the world. The unclean, the cursed.

6) The people from the highways and lanes; I think it would be the many nations and peoples who come to know God.

7) Everyone is invited; anyone who asks will have a seat.

8) None of them would enjoy even a little of the banquet.

9) The one about being humble, the one about inviting people who cannot repay you, and the one about the cost of following Jesus.

10) We cannot repay God for all He has done, and he has invited us, the lowly, the shameful, the cursed, so we should be grateful and come to the feast humble. But there is a cost; we have to place the invite over our "normal" stuff.

One, that if I was invited to the feast, I am poor and lowly. Two, I need to place Jesus above everything. My life, my friends, my stuff.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
1. Jesus is still at the temple but drawing more of a crowd, publicans and sinners
2. Jesus
3. A lost sinner
4. The church
5. Finds the lost sheep, it's in danger and he's there to protect them
6. Until it is found, God does not give up on us
7. Puts it on his shoulders, carrys and supports it in need
8. Celebrates, angels in heaven celebrating
9. Mat 18:14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.
10. The church should focus on the lost and not just those already in the fold

Jesus will not give up on us if we go astray
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Parable of the Lost Sheep.

1) Jesus was preaching again, perhaps still at the Pharisees house. He had heard one of them complaining that he hung out with all manner of sinners and disreputable people.

2) Jesus.

3) People. Jews, Gentiles, everyone.

4) Saved people, I think.

5) He leaves the sheep, the ones in safety, to go find the lost one. Because the lost sheep was wolf chow, and needed help.

6) Until he finds the sheep. Jesus won't give up on the lost sheep until He has found them. Come water, wind, or fire.

7) He carries it on his shoulders back to his home. Jesus carrying us through life until we safely reach home.

8) He celebrates with his friends and neighbors. Maybe a celebration in heaven when we reach it?

9) That each sheep is worth a mighty amount to God, and the lost ones more than the found ones.

10) I 'spose we need to focus more on finding sheep than making ourselves more secure.

That Jesus will go to all ends to find us when we're lost. Even when the wolves are closing in, the shepherd is there. And then he carries us back home.

The Parable of the lost coin.

1) Pretty much the same as in the last one. He was preaching, and pharisees drew attention to the fact he hung out with the "tax collectors" or "sinners" in society.

2) Jesus, I think.

3) Someone who doesn't know God.

4) I believe it represented a full days wages. It was a very valuable coin.

5) She lights a lamp, sweeps the house, and searches carefully for the coin until she finds it.

6) That it meant a very great deal to her; she wasn't willing to lose it.

7) Calls her friends together and celebrates with them. I think it's Gods joy when a sinner turns to Him.

8) Maybe it is Christians? The tools God uses to find the lost?

9) Maybe the pharisees, who didn't mind if a few "coins" (sinners and tax collectors) fell through the cracks.

10) Someone who is saved.

We need to try and find every coin that we can, and each coin is very valuable. Worth searching for until we find.

The Parable of the Prodigal son.

1) Jesus was still preaching, and explaining to the pharisees, why he taught and preached and hung with the sinners and tax collectors of society.

2) Sinners, tax collectors, and all other assorted lost people.

3) God, I think.

4) The Jews, specifically the pharisees. But also I think Christians.

5) He took his inheritance and left to go have fun.

6) Starvation, and the realization that even his fathers slaves had it better than him.

7) With tears and celebration, and high honor that he did not deserve.

8) In a broad sense, that the son was now back in the family and restored to his favored position. Not as a salve, but a child and heir, joyfully returned to his home.

9) He should have been happy that his bro was back, and instead he was angry that he, the sinner, was given joys that even the elder son did not have or receive. The pharisees surprise and disgust that Jesus was being loving toward the "younger brother" or sinners.

10) His repentance.

That...even if we intentionally wander off and do evil, God wants us to come back. He will joyfully receive us when we repent of our sins. Also, not to be the older bro to any druggies, prostitutes, or annoying people who have turned from their sins, but to love them as if they were my brothers/sisters.

And again, I apologize for missing three weeks. School being over and Christmas time kind of caught up to me...I apologize.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
No worries I've been busy with holidays, having the flu and the kids home 24/7

The parable of the lost coin
1. Jesus is still int he temple gathering a crowd
2. Jesus I believe
3. an unbeliever
4. a day's wages
5. starts looking for it immediately
6. it's valuable
7. rejoices with friends
8. A joyous occasion
9. Any sinner in his audience (pharisees or tax collectors)
10. A believer (new or renewed)

It's awesome to hear that heaven rejoices when we believe

The parable of the prodigal son
1. Same temple/audience
2. Sinners
3. God/Jesus
4. Believers
5. With his inheritance
6. Repentance
7. Gladly
8. That he's welcome into the family
9. The brother is jealous of the treatment even though the remainder of the inheritance is his. He shoudl have been happy and understanding.
10. His repentance

God will take us back when we mess up
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Parable of the Prodigal Son.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Unprofitable Servants

1) I believe Jesus was preaching to the crowds following Him, but this parable in particular was preached to His disciples.

2) Christians, I think.

3) Jesus.

4) Servitude. Devotion, work, and obedience.

5) I'm not sure. Perhaps simply to keep him fed and working.

6) "Come at once and sit down and eat". Because the slave is supposed to serve the master, not the other way around.

7) We are supposed to serve God out of duty and devotion; and when we do what we're supposed to do, we don't deserve a pat on the back. :D

8) I'm uncertain. Maybe because the slave did only what he was required, and could not repay the master for all he had done?

9) The bleeps no. Jesus paid for us with His life, and we're already owned by God. We are his slaves, and when we do what He commands, we've only done our duty; not something extra special. We owe gratitude for purchasing us out of our debt.

10) To me, it just shows the mindblowing love of God. I think Jesus was saying "Here's what you'd typically see, a slave serving His master. Now here is what I'm going to do because I love you: A master serving His slave." That's a mindblower.

When we obey God, it's only what we're supposed to do anyway. Yet God loves us enough to stoop down and serve us.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Unprofitable Servant

1. It looks like this was said to his disciples directly

2. Believers

3. Jesus

4. To serve the master

5. To provide fro the servant

6. Come and eat, the servant should serve food to the master not the other way around

7. We are to serve God obediently

8. We are unprofitable because no matter what we are indebted to the Lord for his grace, we can't earn our way or be profitable.

9. God doesn't need us, it's the other way around. He does however, love us. So much so that he sacrificed for us.

10. Those who obey the Lord shall be blessed

We are not equals with God. He had redeemed us and we are in debt to Him. The least we can do is obey and serve him.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
The parable of the unmerciful servant

1. Peter had asked Him "Lord, how many times could my brother sin against me and I forgive him?"

2. God.

3. Us. Humans. Christians in particular, I think.

4. I think just another person. He owed very little in comparison to how much the others slave had owed.

5. It was essentially an unpayable debt. Especially to a slave.

6. He has compassion for him, and forgives him the debt. God forgiving us of our sins.

7. He threw him in prison until he could pay back his debt. I think it is whenever we don't forgive somebody.

8. He throws the servant into jail until he could repay him the debt.

9. Forgiven him. Especially when he asked.

10. He went to the jailers until he could repay the debt he could never repay.

Whenever someone slights us, no matter how much, it's minuscule compared to how much we owe God and we should readily forgive them.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. I'm not sure where the setting was but somewhere with children present. The topic is on forgiveness.

2. God

3. Humans

4. Another human or a sinner, someone with a debt

5. An insane amount of money, nearly impossible to pay off

6. The king clears his debt (forgiveness)

7. Shakes him down and throws him in jail for the minor debt he owed, (unforgiveness)

8. The king was angry and sent the servant away to get tormented until his debt was paid

9. The servant should have forgiven as he was

10. Tormenting for a long time

We can never repay our debt but we can and should forgive others
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Parable of the two debtors.

1. Jesus was eating at the house of a Pharisee named Simon.

2. God, in this case.

3. The women, or a large sinner.

4. Simon, or a "little" sinner.

5. One had not borrowed as much as the other had, maybe because they knew they had to pay the debt off? Whereas the other had borrowed freely, and ended up in drowning debt.

6. They both owed a debt to the creditor.

7. The one debtor, with 50 pieces, would be in prison a much shorter time than the other one, since he owed less.

8. Neither could pay it, so he forgave them both.

9. One would pay it off after suffering for awhile; the other would rot in jail for his life, basically. The one felt thanks for the forgiveness, the other would tearfully kiss the creditors feet in thanks.

10. Simon did not know the depth of God's forgiveness because he did not see the guilt of his own debt.

I don't think I understand...I know I don't understand that huge debt God has wiped from my records, or I would wash his feet with my tears.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
The 2 debtors

1. Dinner with a Pharisee
2. Jesus
3. The woman
4. The Pharisee
5. One had much greater debt, 10 times
6. Both had debt
7. ten times
8. Forgave both their debts
9. One had way more debt to forgive
10. He judged a sinner while being one himself

No matter how much we have sinned, God can and will forgive us if we come to Him. We're all debtors and no better than others.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Parable of the midnight friend

1. Jesus was praying, and when he finished one of his disciples asked him to teach them to pray.

2. Being persistent in demands or solicitations.

3. Christians.

4. God I think.

5. Because the friend kept bugging him until he got up.

6. That we need to be persistent in prayer.

7. No. God answers prayer when it is according to His will.

8. I 'spose it is that if you keep asking, seeking, or knocking, you will receive, find, or gain entry.

9. Because if fallen earthly dads give good gifts to their kids, how much more so the perfect heavenly Dad when we ask Him?

10. I think it means we need to focus while praying, and actually talk to God, rather than just quote or blather at Him expecting a response.

Because if we keep asking, and ask things in accordance to God's will, He will give us what we need. It also draws us closer to God, and helps us to rely on Him.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
1. After teaching his disciples how to pray.

2. Troubling urgency

3. God's children

4. God

5. He sees that he is in need and persistent.

6. God meets our needs, not our demands.

7. No, he loves us and cares for us.

8. Let God know of your desires, talk to Him!

9. He cares for and loves us.

10. Talk to God, don't chant.

We are to have a relationship with God and let him know our needs. God is not a genie and will only grant requests that are in line with His will for you.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Parable of the unjust Judge

1. God.

2. He didn't fear God, or respect men. Not a very nice guy. Not to mention he was unwilling to help the widow until she had annoyed him enough.

3. Christians praying to God.

4. Justice against her adversaries. She repeatedly petitioned the judge to give it to her, rather than seeking it for herself.

5. He ignored her, and was unwilling.

6. He decided to give her justice so she did not wear him out by her repeated petitions.

7. The widows persistence, I think.

8. That if the unjust judge was willing to give the widow justice for her persistence, how much more the holy and just God?

9. It may take longer than we want, but God will serve out justice to all in the end?

10. I think Jesus was asking would anyone be willing to trust God to give justice over time, rather than right away.

Yeah, injustice is alive and well at the moment. But when Jesus returns, he will right all wrongs and punish the guilty.