A Study of Personal Evangelism

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.padfield.com/acrobat/taylor/ ... -evang.pdf

Wow there's a lot to take in here. So here's what I'm taking away from this first lesson:

I understand and acknowledge that Christ came to save not to judge. (John 12:47) He is saddened by people hearing his message and rejecting it. (Matt 23:37) It's our duty to spread the Gospel regardless. (Luke 24:47) We should be as vigilant as the early church in spreading His message. (Col 1:23) We should be willing. (Isaiah 6:8) We should be wise in how we deal with people (Matt 10:16). We should be tactful and not hurtful in our approach. (Col 4:6) (This is really needed on our forums..perhaps it's time for a sig change...).

I liked the examples..and sadly, they are dead on accurate.

We will be held responsible for not taking action or seizing opportunities to share the Gospel with others.

I am grateful to be a child of God and have eternal life with Him. Yet I feel that I can do better at sharing my faith. Yes, I founded this website. That's not enough though. Is our message here strong enough? It's easy to talk behind my slime avatar...I'm not so brave, outgoing, confident in person though. I do wear Christian shirts and a bracelet etc..but I rarely talk to people I don't know..I guess I should get out of my comfort zone a bit and yet not be an obnoxious Bible thumper. *prays for direction*
Bascom
Noob
Noob
Our Mission to Carry on the Work of Christ

conclusion comments
1) How wonderful: Spreading the ministry of Christ is a blessing, this is true. It can often feel like a burden. :x Being charged with helping others find Christ is difficult. I also remember that Jesus was tortured and then executed on the cross (one of the most painful, long term punishments created by human beings). Some people get satisfaction from being a parametic or doctor because they are life savors. Carrying on the work of Christ is more important, because we are eternal life savors.

2) Doing my part: This might be more of a personal question, so we don't boast :roll: or humiliate ourselves :oops: . I like how the study points out that it is not us who does the saving, but the Gospel. I've joined a discipleship group that tries to witness to people in games. Because of the way one of the games mechanics works, I now lead it. As a leader, I think I could do a better job communicating with the members so that we can better equip ourselves to handle the Work of Christ.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Whew...that was a toe stepper. It's easy for me to feel afraid of sharing the gospel face-to-face with somebody and blame it on the modern atmosphere of relativism, and a general distaste for Christians. But in the end...I don't think I could tell Jesus that and be able to look Him in the eye.

The fear is from my own heart, and reasonless. Especially considering Christians are called and empowered to share the gospel. I don't think I can say "I live my beliefs" either and get away with it...I think we're required to share the gift we were freely given.

It's just...It's easy for me to write this post and say that, but when I go out tomorrow, will I be able to follow through? And how? Especially considering the study's (and Bascoms) point that it's God that does all the work anyway.

It's also really easy for me to pull the example of a terrible witness they gave. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Why Aren't More Christians Involved in the Work of the Lord?

I like this guy...he doesn't give pansy answers, and isn't afraid to step on toes. Though I'm more inclined to blame lack of working on Christians being too comfortable in America, instead of people just showing up to church because.

I have problems with teamwork. Not issues with it, I just struggle to do it correctly...I'm too argumentative and bossy at times (Getting better though). For me, I also get caught up judging others too much to work for them in Christ, like we're supposed to. :? That's wrong, and I'm working on it. Especially considering the examples they gave; the dudes friends did not argue about which one got to hold the feet or whether or not they should play video games; they just wanted their friend to be healed, and worked hard for it.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
hmm I was going to do the bible study but the site seems to be down :(
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
The site seems to be back online.

Again this is a very powerful study. The part that impacted me the most is that I am guilty of viewing the church as an agency to do the teaching, feeding of the poor and caring for the needy. I have to step up and do my part too.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Essential Attitudes for doing the work of the Lord.

'A for effort' is where I often fail...If I think I'm going to fail at something, or see that I cannot succeed, I often will not try. Which demonstrates a lack of faith in me too, since if I had faith, I would try anyway, and trust God for the results. O_o

Too, I'm often not joyful. Which is a kind way of saying cynical and grumpy at modern people...which also shows I have trouble loving people too. Yeesh, these are all tied together aren't they?

I'ma try to be more loving, thankful, and joyful, no matter how I feel, and trust God to help me. I'ma try, anyway.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
What Is Personal Evangelism? Why Do It?

Wow. He listed a lot of stuff I wouldn't normally consider 'evangelising'...opened my heart and mind a bit more, since 'working for the Lord' really can be something as simple as yard work, if done for the right reasons.

And that we should do these things because God wants us to, and it's how we shoe our love for Him.

Good study...consistently stomps mah feets. :D
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Essential attitudes for doing the work of the Lord

Love is definitely key and we have to be united. If we're bickering and hateful with each other why should anyone listen to our message?

I definitely have the love and peaceful part down...but I'll admit that my faith and compassion are not where they should be.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Things Which Hinder Personal Evangelism.

Too often, fear or disinterest gets in my way. Half the time, I just really don't care about people. I know it's wrong, but it's true. If people want to run off a cliff, I won't stop them if they annoy me. :\

Fear partially of offending someone, but mostly of getting yelled at and made to doubt. Hard enough sometimes to walk in faith without someone else screaming how wrong you are in your face. Even though, half the time, if I were to think in a straight line, I could point out that they were actually incorrect, not I.

Still. I also seem to have trouble denying myself...or, at least, I really like being comfortable and doing the things I enjoy, to bleeps that there is important stuff to do.

Oi...
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
What is personal Evangelism, Why do it?

I love the conclusion. Looking over thee verse I'm definitely lacking in zeal. I'm definitely not a Bible thumper but I am open about my faith and often wear shirts and have my 3DS broadcasting a Bible verse to those who happen to walk by with one. I run this site but alas I should be more direct and have more concerns for people's souls. :\
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Characteristics of a Successful Personal Worker

This one was rather difficult for me. Not to accept, but to put into practice. I'm a lazy person, and it'd not hurt me in any way to work more...but the idea of working constantly bothers me. As does the thought that perhaps my fondness for games is something I need to deny.

So yeah. Hard.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Things Which Hinder Personal Evangelism:

I think my main problem is that I'm overly cautious. I don't want to offend anyone, don't want to be too harsh but when you think about it...their eternity is on the line. I gotta step up with grace and love.

I contacted the author to let him know there's a wrong reference the wise as serpents and gentle as doves should be Matt 10:16 not 10:36.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah, I noticed a few misreferences in there. XD I just kept reading and whistled. :D
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
For myself, I remain uncertain how the disciples purchasing lunch and wondering what Jesus had to eat meant they were focused on the physical. Maybe.

Anyway, it is easy for me to get caught up in shiny objects and ignore what matters in life, or what's really important. Happens more frequently than I care to admit. :\ I do catch myself though sometimes, and correct it. :D

To be that guy again, I also find him wrong in claiming it was the thousands of people preaching that caused the church to grow. Acts clearly indicates that "every day the Lord added to them those who were being saved". Maybe that's me wanting an excuse, but I don't think human effort is what get's the jaerb done.

I dunno. I may just be making an excuse as to why I'm not out on a street corner.