Psalms Bible Study

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.padfield.com/acrobat/asher/psalms_1.pdf

Lesson 1.

1. David was anointed and serving as Saul's armor bearer and was not intimidated by Goliath.

2. We're very much like sheep and God looks after us.

3. Peace and serenity, as sheep we are comfortable enough to lie down and relax if nothing is worrying or bothering us.

http://www.precious-testimonies.com/hop ... stures.htm

4. By us trusting in the Lord our souls are restored.

5. Fear, danger, death

6. The hook can guide sheep and the other can whack animals trying to eat the sheep.

7. The table is a feast, sustenance.

8. God provides in abundance especially with David and Solomon's wealth.

9. As a follower of God it's easy to count our blessings. We're forgiven, we're alive, we have our health, God is on our side! Even in trials, God is looking out for the best of us.

10. I think he's referring to Heaven which is eternal.

Put your trust in God, even when you're scared and uncertain of your surroundings. God will bless you abundantly and wants to spend eternity with you.
BigBrother
Noob
Noob
Lesson 1:

1. Up until this point, Davids life has consisted of him being a shepherd to his fathers flock. God provides him with the insight to draw parallels between the job of a shepherd and Him.

2. The shepherd loves his flock. He takes care of his flock by providing sustenance to live from and protection from dangers. In these ways, God is this to us as well.

3. The way this is worded, it's as if the psalmist is saying that as His sheep He GIVES us rest, comfort and peace. He takes us to these places in our lives.

4. This is one of the things that I LOVE about our God. He has designed us to empty ourselves to further his kingdom (through serving and loving) only to be filled up again by His Holy Spirit.

5. The "valley of death" is sin, worldly things and desires, fear and anger.

6. The rod is used to protect the flock. The staff to guide it. Knowing that God protects us and guides us is a comfort to believers because it allows us to hand over things to Him. Things like worry and anxiety. We can put our trust in Him because he guides and protects us.

7. The table is in reference to a feast in the psalm. It is saying that God provides for us.

8. I think David's faith is so strong at this point in his life that he realizes that he doesn't deserve any of the things/comforts that he has and that all of it a blessing from God. If we deserve nothing, but have a lot, then our cups overflow.

9. I can only guess that, as I said above, his faith is so strong that he just knows that God will be with him for the rest of his life.

10. My study bible says that the "house of the Lord" is the place where God is. A little vague, huh? But it also points out that David is letting us know that he is not just a "guest-for-a-day, but a recipient of God's covenant lovingkindness forever." The study guide has a note for lovingkindness from Hos. 2:19 as "loyal, steadfast, or faithful love and stresses the idea of a belonging together of those involved in the love relationship."

Summary:

God wants to protect you from harm and guide you to peace. He wants to provide for you and be with you forever.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Of course I waited until Wednesday. >_>

1) His anointing, service of Saul, and battle with Goliath.

2) A shepherd cares more for his sheep than his own life, and will not allow anything to harm them on his watch.

3) A safe place to rest, and plenty of nourishment.

4) He encourages us daily, but he also cleansed us of our sins ans restored our souls from evil.

5) I think it's any time we have to go through trying times...it may even be this entire world.

6) I *think* one was used to protect from danger, and the other for guidance/punishment/care for the sheep. God will not only protect us from evil, but he will also guide us along the right path.

7) I always thought it was a place for eating. David had a place to sit down and eat his meal in peace even among his foes.

8) David was given blessing after blessing. First he fights and kills a dude twice his size, then he survives being chased by an angry king, then he actually becomes king.

9) David was anointed by Samuel to be the next king over Israel. Thus far, God had held to his promise and blessed him abundantly. Why wouldn't God continue?

10) I think it means that God's presence, or his realm. David could only dwell there forever if it went beyond death.

The message I get from this Psalm is that, even in the most dangerous of situations, God is not only with us, but guiding us and protecting us.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lesson 2:

1. David is writing about Saul sending assassins to kill him.

2. Workers of iniquity, bloody men, heathen.

3. They try and plot to take David's life.

4. Without fault.

5. "be not merciful to any wicked transgressors"," But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them; thou shalt have all the heathen in derision.","Consume [them] in wrath, consume [them], that they [may] not [be]: and let them know that God ruleth in Jacob unto the ends of the earth. Selah."

6. By killing them all at once people would forget after a while, if they were scattered and humbled it would have more impact.

7. Since David is God's annointed if you mess with David, you're messing with God.

8. David is God's chosen one, he will not die unless God ordains it, to think otherwise is foolish.

9. No to be content, restless.

10. God is his refuge and strength.

God has a plan and a purpose with your life. Nobody can interrupt that plan. Things may get hairy but God will protect you and prevail over your enemies.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
1] Saul had sent men to watch David's house and kill him.

2] Snarling hungry dogs.

3] They wanted to kill him for no reason.

4] That he had done no wrong.

5] He asks that they be brought down and consumed as an example to the people that God rules.

6] So that his people would not forget.

7] I think David wanted justice to rain down upon the collective faces of everyone, and know that the God of Jacob was God of all.

8] All of their fighting against God is like a raindrop vs a forest fire.

9] I think it means be angry.

10] God was his strength, his fortress, and his King. His loving God.

God is our strength, our castle and he loves us dearly. Anyone who fights against God is trying to topple the mountain by slapping at it.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) David was running from Saul, and had gone to seek help from the priests. After he left, the priests were murdered by Saul and Doeg.

2) A mighty man, a disgrace in the eyes of God. (You know, until now, I had always pictured Doeg as a sort of wheedling fart of a man. It never crossed me mind that he could've been a mighty guy.)

3) Boasting, loving evil, speaking falsehood, loving harmful words, trusting in his wealth and growing strong by destroying others.

4) He would be torn away, uprooted, and brought down to everlasting ruin.

5) The righteous would see and fear, then laugh at him.

6) His wealth.

7) God can't be defeated by destroying his servants. His love endures through all pain, fear, and destruction.

8) Evil and falsehood.

9) An olive tree, flourishing in the house of God.

10) He praises God forever, He trusts in God's unfailing love forever, and He hopes in God's good name.

Bad people will get wumped in the end, and though we get kicked in the pants down here, we need to trust in God's unfailing love and goodness, and praise him.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lesson 3

1. Doeg betrayed David and told Saul of David's whereabouts after they were aided by priests in Nob.

2. The he liked evil more than good and that he was a liar

3. Having a deceitful tongue

4. God shall likewise destroy thee for ever, he shall take thee away, and pluck thee out of [thy] dwelling place, and root thee out of the land of the living.

5. The righteous also shall see, and fear, and shall laugh at him

6. In the abundance of his riches

7. No matter what anyone does God's plan and purpose will not be thwarted. God was protecting David.

8. wickedness

9. Like a green olive tree in the house of God: I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever.

10. trust, praise and wait on God

People will let us down but God will not. Trust on God, not on men. Praise God and wait on Him, his will is better than ours. :)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) When David fled from Saul into Philistine territory.

2) As a man hated and feared, and fearful of losing his life.

3) They attack him, slander him, plot to take his life, shadow his steps and twist his words.

4) David was afraid, yes, but he still trusted in God. Trust, I think, would be more than David saying "I trust you...but I is scared", but saying instead "when I am afraid, then will I trust you".

5) Trustworthiness, merciful, angry against injustice, helping those in danger.

6) His journey through life.

7) A bottle to hold the tears of his children, and a book recording the deeds of all men.

8) That they would turn back; sort of. The king later allowed David to live with him.

9) That David would be king over Israel; David fully trusted God. He did not know how God would bring it about, but I don't think he doubted.

10) That he had been delivered from stumbling, and death, and allowed to walk before God in the light of life.

Just because I happen to be terrified, doesn't mean I shouldn't trust God. The opposite, in fact; even when hunted by my 'brothers' and forced to flee to my enemies, even and especially then, I should and can trust God.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lesson 4

1. David fled from Saul and went to Gath.

2. Being hunted and oppressed.

3. His enemies want to take his life.

4. He's afraid for his life but he knows that God will look out for Him and that His will will be done.

5. God is for us and is aware of our tears and fears.

6. David's journey in life, journey to become king.

7. Bottle of tears, book of life.

8. That they would turn back. His enemies did not kill him so that was progress :)

9. David knew that he was the Lord's anointed and that he would be king soon.

10. God saved his life and keeps His promises

Don't fear man, fear the Lord and praise Him, He is worthy.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) When David pretended to be a crazy man in front of the king of Gath.

2) David was praising God because of the very narrow shave he'd just had, and had safely come through; God was with him, but I'm uncertain that any humans were.

3) Because God will raise up the humble and broken.

4) *turns internet over* Well, there's the fact that David would live with God forever. But on the earth, there was the constant protection, even when in danger. David was also blessed with a large family, and with God's presence. There was also the fact that God listens to those who serve him, and that those who seek Him lack no good thing.

5) I think he meant a life blessed by God's presence and lived within his will.

6) Keeping your tongue from evil, and your mouth from speaking lies.

7) A broken and contrite heart; yes, I think they are.

8) I imagine it means that, though we may go through them, God will bring us out alive on the other side.

9) Desolation.

10) Bereft of life and love and joy; without God.

If we live within God's will, he will protect us and deliver us from evil.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lesson 5

1. David fled from Saul to enemy territory and pretended to be insane so their king would not kill him.

2. I'm sure God was the one who gave David the idea. David was on his own, God kept him safe.

3. God loves everyone rich and poor alike.

4. The Lord delivers and redeems those that love Him.

5. A life that honors God.

6. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it. (I've seen that before....sounds familiar)

7. God is with those who are humble, people are proud don't think they need God in their lives. Sadly, many people deny the existence or need for God.

8. The Lord hears and answers our prayers according to His will (not ours).

9. Those that hate the righteous will be desolate

10. lonely, deprived, dismal

My sig says it all I think: Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it. That my friends is the formula to Godly life.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
You really have to admire David; few military leaders, anointed king by God, with hundreds or thousands dead by his hand, with a dead giant under his belt...would stoop to scribbling, drooling, and blabbering in order to escape death and capture.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sheer brilliance ;)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
1) When David was hiding from Saul in a cave, and when David was chilling in a cave from the Philistines.

2) Mercy from God, and protection from his enemies.

3) Ravenous beasts with spears and arrows for teeth and swords for tongues.

4) His utter trust in God, and his willingness and call to proclaim God through the nations.

5) A steadfast heart.

6) Trapped, and in desperate need.

7) God.

8) Men who had set traps at his feet, and who were too strong for him.

9) He's depressed, tired, and just really unhappy.

10) That God was his refuge and portion.

We may be trapped, but God has our back and we can always praise Him. Even when we're at our lowest. God is still our refuge and strength.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lesson 6

1. David was hiding from Saul in the cave Adullam.

2. David prays that God saves him from Saul and gives him mercy and truth.

3. Lions with tongues as sharp as swords.

4. David trusts in God and knows that God will deliver the kingdom to him.

5. A fixed heart, humility and praise.

6. Hopeless and knowing that only God can deliver him.

7. God.

8. Persecutors that are stronger than him.

9. Desperate.

10. That God will deal beautifully with him.

Praise God no matter what you're going through.