Ephesians 5:4 meaning

Bring your Bible and spiritual appetite
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
cyclone_105
Noob
Noob
Hi,
I have been struggling with the meaning of Ephesians 5:4, which says in the kjv Bible, "Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather the giving of thanks."

I've really been struggling with what the verse means by "jesting", which is written as "coarse jesting" in other translations.

Now, I'd also like to mention in this post that I enjoy watching shows such as South Park, and that I bought the new SP game, the Fractured But Whole. I am a huge fan of South Park, but recently I got concerned about whether or not Ephesians 5:4 condemns it.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Vulgar talk should not be coming out of those who profess to be Christians. The NIV words the verse differently - Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

Jokes are fine, just not dirty ones, after all, God created many of us with a sense of humor
cyclone_105
Noob
Noob
alrighty then. As for South Park, I read the reviews on this site for both of the two games they released. I agree - not for the easily offended and not for those who are not mature enough for such content, and should only be played by those who can handle it. Would playing the games and watching the show violate Ephesians 5:4?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Let's just say that I'd be scratching my head if I caught my pastor playing those on Steam ;)

Will it send you to hell? No. The problem is that you'll lower you defenses while playing and will be viewing sexually explicit material that is by no means holy. For clarification I reviewed the first game and another reviewer took on the second. After the morality score hit zero on Stick of Truth I stopped playing the game and haven't gone back to it since.
ChaoHellsing
Noob
Noob
Playing said games definitely does not do anything to edify believers.
Be that as it may, will playing the game violate the scriptures in Ephesians? Potentially.
Can it make you lose your salvation? Never.
Can it interfere with you walk with God? Maybe. And that's the real question you need to ask yourself.
Do you, after playing the game, feel any lessening feelings against sins? In other words, do you feel a greater urge to commit such-and-such sin now? If so, it would be a good idea to take a break from the game and read a few Pslams and Proverbs.
Another thing to consider is making sure you're not a stumbling block. In other words, if you know any new Christians who were affected by such things, do not let it be known to them, otherwise it could stunt their own spiritual growth.