Pray that I get a job.......................this time.

Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I understand why somebody wants a job, but why a retail position? Why not something with your degree?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
It's a serious question. Retail isn't a hugely positive experience
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Nor does it benefit from all the work you did in college.
I'm not saying retail is beneath you. Work is work and you take what you can, but if you can achieve a little more, why not push harder for it?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
The problem is that in order to get a job in my field, a HUGE wad of cash is necessary. Web Design alone costs up to possibly $700+

For a PERSONAL website. I haven't been practicing my web code lately, either. And I don't want to make a cheap looking website. When people are hiring you, they don't care about you. They care about the work you produce. Nothing more. If you don't have what they're looking for, then they brush you aside and move on.

..........I'm using Wix.com; it's free for the most part, you have to pay for the advanced stuff. I am currently drawing out the website on 960.gs paper. I still have the design part down.

................Xc( *sigh*
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
$700 for what? Notepad and gimp are free. Domains are $11 or so and web hosting a couple bucks a month.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
What about Yahoo? And Bluehost? And all those trusted sites? I have Dreamweaver CS5.

.....I guess I just have to try.

― Criss Jami
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
never used bluehost, always installed my CMS and forums from scratch...you gotta get your hands dirty and learn how these programs work if you want to be good at web development. Relying on one click installs won't help you learn. Get a site going, tweak it til you break it and then figure out how to fix it. That's what I do.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict

Well, I don't have the cash right now. So I'm gonna have to settle.

― Criss Jami
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ccgr's absolutelyright, and it's not expensive to get sites up. You will have to learn how to code sites as well.
DeadManReedeemed wrote:When people are hiring you, they don't care about you. They care about the work you produce. Nothing more. If you don't have what they're looking for, then they brush you aside and move on.
While cynical, this is not accurate. People do care about you, but not in the sense that they want to give you a job out of charity. They care both about the work you can do for the company, but also how you can fit in with the team. It's so very clearly not "nothing more" than your work. You join a team, and in a creative field like design, this is all the more important.
Secondly, the perspective is a little off and this is a mistake that most people, including myself, make when looking for employment. You don't look at employers as an entity that doles out jobs and all they want from you is labor. What it is is two parties seeking a mutually beneficial arrangement to make money and some great products and services. Every time you interview, you aren't appealing for a job only to be brushed away, you're interviewing them as well and finding if this would be beneficial for you. When both parties feel the same way, viola. It's a bit empowering to feel that way, and being empowered works wonders for your interviewing skills.
So, when looking at a company, you want a company that is passionate about what they do, and feels it's important that they hire people that fit well with the team.

So, you graduated and have a degree in web design: any school projects to show for it?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
I had a website based of a Christian band called Emery, but I was in deep debt so I had to give it up.

― Criss Jami
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
DMR I can help you with hosting...check out my hosting site http://www.ccgr.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
micah211
VIP Member
VIP Member
I have a MC friend that is a coder and a pretty good one too...I think I could get him to tell me what the basics are to make a good website but not spending anything like $700.
I literally do nothing
ChristFollower
Noob
Noob
Location: Extreme Hill's of Minecraft in search of adventure, come join me!
May the Lord bless you in your work search.
CF
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Well, I'm not looking for one right now. But thank you. :D

― Criss Jami