Prayer Request: Reconstructive Foot Surgery

Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
I have a special prayer request for the left foot. Last Monday during physical therapy, I noticed that a softy pudgy bump formed below the 4th toe on the skin graft. On Tuesday, I went to see my podiatrist to examine it. While I was waiting, I pushed around the bump and a lot of "ooze" along with blood squirted out. It's been oozing ever since :/ On Friday when I changed the bandage, this long thin "thing" came out of a small hole in the center of the wound. Hard to describe, maybe tissue? It's still oozing a small amount. The blood has minimized as well. I spoke to a nurse on Friday: monitor over the weekend. Call on Monday if it doesn't improve. The wound area itself has not reduced in size but it does look better. Prayers would be welcome. Regarding my right foot, I have a followup with my orthopedic surgeon on Friday. Still walking around with pain. Thanks. -Ed
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
praying, keep us posted!
jsrcksaaf
Wow, I just read all of this. That is some tough stuff to deal with! I am encouraged to see that you still seem pretty optimistic about it and haven't blamed God. It's hard not to just dwell on the "why me". Praying for you! keep your head up!
"What so ever ye do, do it heartily as to the Lord"
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
jsrcksaaf wrote:Wow, I just read all of this. That is some tough stuff to deal with! I am encouraged to see that you still seem pretty optimistic about it and haven't blamed God. It's hard not to just dwell on the "why me". Praying for you! keep your head up!
Yes, thank you. I'm way beyond blaming or questioning God. Now it's completely, "Ok God, this is in Your hands because I'd be very cynical and going crazy without You."

The wound in the left foot looks better but still has not reduced in size. As for my right, the doctor's appointment I had today was canceled. Apparently my doctor injured himself somehow. It's not serious but he's missing a week. So the rescheduled appointment is Monday, December 8. Today was not all in vain. I went to my pedorthist to have my left foot rescanned. This is in order to make a new orthotic (shoe insole). Over the past couple weeks, the heavy scar tissue by the heel has reduced significantly. L&I finally authorized the prescription for new customized shoes and orthotics. Hopefully they arrive in the next week or so. Then I can begin wearing them as well as get arch support for the left foot. I'm ready to get out of this walking boot. Thank you for the continued prayers.
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
I have a small update:

I've been on antibiotics for the past week due to bronchitis from a recent cold. The antibiotics helped close the open wound in my left foot. Today, it's finally closed. But it's been determined that the 4th toe, which was supposed to be fixed during the last operation, was interfering with healing. Even right now, the wound is closed, but it's soft beneath it again. It's located right below the 4th toe. Several doctors have suggested it should be amputated and I concur, unfortunately. Sometime next year another operation to amputate the 4th toe awaits.

Last week, physical therapy ended. My physical therapist said I plateaued. He doesn't know how else to help me.

Next Monday, I'm having a CT scan on my right foot due to ongoing bone pain. Please pray something shows up.

Thanks,
Ed
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Continuing to pray for you
storm
Gamer
Gamer
ccgr wrote:Continuing to pray for you
same here I know that prayer helps and even just the thought that others are doing so comforts me so will have you in mine
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
I had the CT scan yesterday. The results showed no apparent problem with the navicular bone in the right foot, only an issue with the bone joint. I pleaded with my doctor that something needs to be done. I suggested to install a plate on the bottom part of the bone but he refused due to difficulty accessing it. He suggested to fuse the navicular bone from the top though. He unsure what he'll fuse the bone to as the area already has 3 plates and 19 screws. There's no guarantee that this will alleviate the pain. But at this point, I'm willing to go through with it.

As for the left foot, surgery to amputate the 4th toe is set for February 10 of next year. This is not due to diabetes, but due to ongoing pain and it interfering with the skin graft/free flap. My doctor was unable to fix the toe when I had the left foot operated on in June of this year.

In the past couple weeks, the same pain in the same location (navicular bone) has appeared in the left foot. If the navicular bone fusion is successful in the right foot, then the left foot is next.

I have been in absolutely terrible pain each time I take a step right now. I walk slowly with a slight limp. I cannot walk far. I'm an active person too so this has been difficult and surprising that I'm not getting better.

It looks like 2015 and 2016 I'm in for 2 to 3 more operations with the bone fusions being long and complicated again.

My faith still has not wavered. But I've been beat down though, no question there. I'm very tired right now due to the news and the outlook for the next 2 years does not look promising. I remain strong in Christ but I am honestly praying for a miracle.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Praying for strength, healing and wisdom for the doctors
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
It's been a little over 7 months since the left foot was operated on. It's doing better but the overall size of the foot hasn't changed much as well as the skin graft. It's still large and rather hard. Still having a lot of severe pain in both feet. In my last update, I wrote about the same "bone pain" and location appearing in the left foot. That remains but the right foot is still much worse.

Last month, I received a new set of modified shoes and custom-made orthotics. The new shoes are running shoes and "rocker bottoms" installed. This allows me to walk normal. Without these shoes, you can definitely tell there's a problem with the way I walk. The shoes were also the last resort to alleviate for these bone pains. No improvement. On the plus side, the shoes completely eliminated the limp I had. Now I walk completely normal so you really can't tell there's a problem as it is now severe pain that remains.

Prayer request for this Tuesday, February 10. Still moving forward with the decision to amputate the 4th toe on the left foot. I believe it's for the best. In the past it complicated healing with the new skin graft. It sticks out, causing difficulty wearing shoes. During the summer months, it's a source for athlete's foot. This is still a difficult decision. As horrid as my feet may be, it's been a long, memorable, and faith-filled journey. No complaints. I love my feet :)

Please pray there are no complications and that I am able to get pain relief. As I've written in the past, not many medications work with me. I'm either allergic to them or they have no effect.

A 3-photo collage displaying the top of the left foot, a shot showing the toe that needs to be amputated out of place, and the new shoes with the rocker bottoms which altogether add about 2-inches of height :D
Spoiler:
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Praying for you, hope the operation goes well and that the pain subsides
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Thanks for the prayers.

The operation was successful with no issues. This was outpatient surgery which was a first in a long time for me.

The first night was the worst. The pain was a 10 and almost prompted a 911 call. The pain emanated from the amputation area but also from the areas where there's metal hardware: heel & midfoot. Yesterday the pain wasn't as bad but I did need pain meds. This morning phantom pain began and is increasing. Overall it still hurts but to be honest, it's not as bad as what I thought it would be. The reconstructive surgeries I've had over the past 18 months have been far worse.

Bandages and stitches get removed next Friday. I've begun placing some weight on the foot but it's only around the house and only a few steps. Most of the time, I am relying on a knee scooter. I'm using this instead of crutches because my right foot is "protesting" aka screams in pain when I use the crutches. Unfortunately, it still has problems.

I believe all the prayers I've received have contributed to the alleviation of pain without needing to solely rely on pain meds.

Again thank you. As usual, I will keep this thread updated.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Praying, hope it heals fast and the pain becomes manageable :(
EchoDelta
Gamer
Gamer
Figure I'll provide an update. I've been staying off the foot for the most part. I did notice that there kept appearing new blood through the bandages. I called the hospital yesterday. A nurse advised to ice the foot and elevate for 20 minutes each hour. I think the bleeding is due to the type of skin graft on the foot: free flap. That muscle has its own blood supply and my doctor had to cut into it in order to remove the toe.

I didn't notice any new blood this morning so the ice seems to be working. I'm no longer taking pain meds. Living with so much foot pain already, I can tolerate this without the meds. And the phantom pain is already gone. I just hope that when I begin walking more it remains gone.

A big thank you for the prayers. The stitches come out next Friday, on the 27th.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the update, glad the phantom pain is gone and bleeding has stopped, will keep you in my prayers