The end of Prism?

All Minecraft posts go here
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Prism has been pretty quiet lately. I've been notified that the Christian network hosting our server is moving away from Bisect hosting and will be hosting their servers from home in an effort to save money. We have been supporting them with $16/month to offset the server costs and have only been getting $1/month in donations. With not much player activity or donations coming in, this is a good time to shut down the server. As we have done in the past, the 1.18 and previous world files will be available to download on http://prism.ccgr.org

If there is enough demand we could go back to self hosting the server, but we would need a financial commitment to cover the costs of renting a Linux server which could be used for both Minecraft and a free speech chat platform.
N1ghtBreak3r
Things have been very slow for quite a while. I think there are several factors at work here, but the bottom line is a server isn't much fun without people and people don't want to play on a server with no people so there's no people to play with and so nobody is on to play with the people who do come on because they're not. Make sense? :)

Seriously though, I'm a little sad. Prism has been amazing to be part of over all these years, but I also understand that it's hard to maintain a server with no funds for it and no player base.
Faithbits
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:54 am Prism has been pretty quiet lately. I've been notified that the Christian network hosting our server is moving away from Bisect hosting and will be hosting their servers from home in an effort to save money. We have been supporting them with $16/month to offset the server costs and have only been getting $1/month in donations. With not much player activity or donations coming in, this is a good time to shut down the server. As we have done in the past, the 1.18 and previous world files will be available to download on http://prism.ccgr.org

If there is enough demand we could go back to self hosting the server, but we would need a financial commitment to cover the costs of renting a Linux server which could be used for both Minecraft and a free speech chat platform.
With Multicraft, I was able to set up my own Minecraft server on a home computer, and run it for free. The performance and gaming experience is excellent. With a good ISP and a decent computer, you could probably do the same. If there aren't a lot of people playing on it, there should be no problem.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
We've run a server from our house before. The cost of keeping a server on 24/7 exceeds the $1 a month in donations we're getting. And no point if people aren't playing anymore.
StarvedArtist
Minecraft Server Admin
This is so sad to hear :( I don’t get to play Minecraft often anymore but Prism is always my go-to place when I do play. I personally have always enjoyed when we were a server on our own more than being combined with the Christian network. I just liked the small community atmosphere and you knew everyone who played on the server. But I do understand that it is costing you money and your not getting enough donations. I’m not sure if switching to a private server again would bring back the community or not. If it doesn’t get better and prism is closed, I understand and I will have great memories from it :) I met one of my best friends on here and i still chat with other players i used to play with. You made my Minecraft addiction years great! Lol
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Glad to hear that Prism brought lasting friendships and happy memories.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
When I first joined Prism I didn't think I'd have as much fun as I actually did. It was very fun to build and play with other players. Having a nice small community was great since everyone kinda knew one another and it was kinda like one big family. There were many great players over the years and I had fun playing with them. Ever since the merge happened it just hasn't ever felt the same, especially with the dwindling playerbase. It's sad to see Prism go but I think it had a great long run of a little over 10 years (I think that's how long the server has been around).

Thank you for making the server and allowing me to have many happy memories playing with everyone on Prism. I had a great time. :D

Maybe someday if enough players want to, we'll see a revival. :)
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
Sad to see Prism go, I had a lot of good memories there, as it was my first real multiplayer Minecraft experience.

It will live on in our hearts and memories, and perhaps return someday.

Thank you for the happy memories.
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.
Cantore
Prism was theeee place to be back in my Minecraft days! I met one of my best friends (M_Unlimited), and many other great friends along the way: Xeno, DocRelic, N1ghtBreak3r, JesusIsLord713, and StarvedArtist! I haven't played Minecraft in a while... mostly because of RL responsibilities and such. That said, it's still the most memorable mmo experience I've had to date, and I enjoyed being a part of it in my past.

A big thank-you to ccgr for her MASSIVE contribution to the Christian community over the years!! God bless you!

Whatever you all decide, I'll keep an eye out for it. :D
Comotto
ccgr wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:54 am Prism has been pretty quiet lately. I've been notified that the Christian network hosting our server is moving away from Bisect hosting and will be hosting their servers from home in an effort to save money. We have been supporting them with $16/month to offset the server costs and have only been getting $1/month in donations. With not much player activity or donations coming in, this is a good time to shut down the server. As we have done in the past, the 1.18 and previous world files will be available to download on http://prism.ccgr.org

HI CCGR, it's been awhile. I think you should consider open source Minetest to continue Prism without the cost of a Minecraft server. I've mentioned this alternative on forum previously and it is growing in popularity getting closer to MC all the time because of the many developers contributing. The 3 servers I play on regularly are MineClone 5 on Minetest 5 and MeseCraft both Centeria Survival / Survival Server #1, admins are very talented. Hope you can see your way clear to make the change and save Prism, I miss the group. God bless.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
No matter what game we host, open source or not there will be incurred expenses (hardware, internet, electric). If there is demand and financial support we'll be more than happy to host another server. But we'll need more than $1/month in donations.
Comotto
ccgr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:17 pm No matter what game we host, open source or not there will be incurred expenses (hardware, internet, electric). If there is demand and financial support we'll be more than happy to host another server. But we'll need more than $1/month in donations.
Chatted with one of the veteran admins, who would be more than happy to speak with you.
Comotto
Comotto wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:33 pm
ccgr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:17 pm No matter what game we host, open source or not there will be incurred expenses (hardware, internet, electric). If there is demand and financial support we'll be more than happy to host another server. But we'll need more than $1/month in donations.
Chatted with one of the veteran admins, who would be more than happy to speak with you. mistere123coging@gmail.com
Have you considered a ' Go Fund Me ' page?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I hid the admin's e-mail so they don't get spammed. We have used GoFundMe for raising money for better quality recording hardware. For recurring expenses I think other platforms like patreon or subscribe star would be better.