Howzit work?

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Emwok
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Hi guys! I play several RPGs on the computer, but have never played pen & paper RPGs and I am very interested in trying it out. Could someone give me a site to find out how to play? I have seen my youth leader playing a text-based game on the computer that looked like it may have been a TTRPG. Are there sites that you can do this on? If so, then could someone give me a link?
Spoiler:

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Here's an article we haven't yet published from fathom123, maybe it will help you in the meantime:
Tabletop Roleplaying Games: An introduction, with a budget.

So, you heard about this thing called tabletop gaming and you want to get your feet wet. This article is the place for you to get the necessary resources (next to paper, pens, and your imagination) to get started. Perhaps you’re like me and you’re not an heir to a vast oil empire with disturbing amounts of money to throw around. Buying books is both intimidating and expensive, especially if you don’t know if this style of Roleplaying is for you.

So why buy, when free is amazing!

(Note: This article does not support the piracy of gaming materials. Please remember that behind each page, each piece of artwork is a person who created this with the hope that they would not have to work another job on top of pursuing their passion. Their hope is that their artwork or creativity would cover their bills and perhaps even more. Please reward those who took the time to create your hobby by paying for their materials.)

Now on to the free (and legal) stuff!

Dungeons & Dragons is the meat and potatoes of Pen and Paper RPGs. With that, this article will primarily focus primarily on this genre of pen and paper games. Created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, first published in 1974, this legendary game spawned a gaming culture. Inexpensive books can be purchased for any edition at your local used bookstore or on wonderful websites like Ebay or Amazon. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Ed) and 2nd Ed are considered old school with 3.5 and 4 the current standard for D&D.

4th edition will require you to purchase a Players Handbook (at the very least) in order to play and is very combat and miniature heavy, requiring additional resources to be purchased or a substitute made. With that said, 4th edition is difficult to play on a limited or nonexistent budget.

3.5 edition was created by the current owner of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise, Wizards of the Coast. Initially, WOTC created 3.5 with an OGL (or Open Gaming License) with the intent of independent gaming companies creating content for the D20 (another name for the rules) system. With that, anyone can look to the OGL for the basics of D&D 3.5. The OGL content for D&D 3.5 can be found at www.d20srd.org. With this site, you can make basic characters and quests. The D20 SRD contains the contents of the 3.5 Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide and the first Monster’s Manual as well as Complete Psionics and Unearthed Arcana, two supplemental books. A great and free resource for the novice tabletop gamer!

The 3.5 OGL spawned many free and open source games. The biggest of which is the creation of Piazo Publishing’s Pathfinder (http://www.piazo.com). Pathfinder is D&D 3.5 with some added adjustments regarding feats and combat as well as some new classes (Often referred to as “D&D 3.6”).Unlike 3.5, all you need for Pathfinder is the Core Ruelbook. If you can’t afford a book, Pathfinder has an SRD that is more detailed that the D20 SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/) with many expanded and variant classes.

If you want something with an “Old School” feel, then you want to go with a Retro Clone. Retro Clones start with the OGL and reengineer it to look and feel as AD&D and the earlier incarnations of the game do. Each Retro Clone has its own flavor so here’s a list of the available Retro Clones for you to experience and develop an opinion of your own:

OSRIC-A rules simulator for D&D 1e: http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/
Basic Fantasy-A rules light AD&D Clone-http://basicfantasy.org/
Labyrinth Lord-Ranked as one of the best clones with a great old school feel-http://goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.html

So you have the material to get started. If you happen to be short on friends who play pen and paper games, there’s a solution for that as well. http://www.meetup.com is an awesome resource for anyone looking to find a regular gathering of gamers. Most of these “meetups” are filled with seasoned gamers who do not mind teaching those inexperienced with the culture and rules set. All you have to do is create a free account and list your interests. From there, join as many Meetups as you like. Usually every major city has a Dungeons & Dragons Meetup. This is preferred alternative over posting on craigslist because the meetups are usually held in a public location, have a solid and positive reputation, and most likely will not be a serial killer looking to use D&D as a way to lure victims to their windowless hives. Shudder.

Dice is something you will want to purchase, though every smart phone has a free or inexpensive dice emulator. Dice can be found at most comic shops, gaming shops, or on the internet.

You’re all set! Now it’s time to sharpen your swords and reinforce your armor because danger, suspense, and probably a misunderstood reputation await! Good Luck!

-Fathom
Emwok
CCGR addict
Wow. This helped a lot. Thanks!

Edit: My mom knows the Dungeons & Dragons TTRPG and says it has a lot of magic (inferred "no"). Are there any other Pen & Paper games similar to this one but without all of the magic?

Double edit: Just found a way to make your own rpg. I'm going to make one! If not now, then this Saturday. I'll post the rules/other stuff for y'all once I am done.
Spoiler:

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Emwok wrote: Edit: My mom knows the Dungeons & Dragons TTRPG and says it has a lot of magic (inferred "no"). Are there any other Pen & Paper games similar to this one but without all of the magic?
There are a LOT of RPGs out there in all genres. If you have a gaming store near you head on over and browse awhile. Failing that, try this place. They have a pretty good inventory of gaming materials both new and old.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
You could also try out Holy Lands, which is a Pen and Paper RPG created by Christians. I've not played it so I can't vouch for its fun value, so this post comes with a salt shaker.

It does have magic in it, but it's considered evil. I don't think the player characters can use it (you've got miracles in its stead), and even using enchanted items counts against your stats and will curse you before long. There's a link somewhere in this forum, but I can show it to you if you cannot find it.

Keep in mind, you're likely to get mocked by most RPGers for playing it, and it's unlikely you'll find a game unless you set it up. :D

If you're willing to put some money into it, you could look up DragonRaid, which is a very Christianized version of classic D&D. I have played it, and can vouch for its fun value. ^_^ The only magic in it is portrayed in a clearly evil light, and used by the bad guys. Good stuff.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Consider d20 modern. Same rules, modern day setting. They have rules for future / sci-fi settings.

You also can consider the Street Fighter Storytelling game (from White Wolf... no longer in print, I'm sorry to say, but you can still find a few Web sites dedicated to it out there) or MechWarrior, the RPG spin on the Battletech universe.

Edit - just remembered that you're a Star Wars fan. There are rules for playing in the Star Wars universe using the d20 rules. Wizards of the Coast doesn't print it any more... but a different company called Fantasy Flight Games is developing a brand new tabletop RPG based on Star Wars, so you might find it intriguing....