Are vampires demons in Magic: the gathering?

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Fansei
Hello my fellow Christian gamers. As you can hopefully see I'm a Magic player. However I was on Television Tropes and Idioms last night and I read something that started to worry me. As you can tell, it was vampire related. See, I have an all black vampire deck, and two other decks with some vampires in them. My biggest concern is that these vampire( mostly in the Innistrad block) were indirectly created by a demon. Please go on the MTG salvation wiki and look up Sorin Markov. I would greatly appricited if Deepfreeze32 joined this discussion.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
OK so a demon helped an alchemist to create vampirism. What's got you worried?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Fansei
Well, does that make them demons? Television tropes and idioms said that it's a result of demonic power. If you want a closer look go to that site, look up magic the gathering click on the page then click on individual character tropes. It'll take you to another page then click on Innistrad. There you'll find the information.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I would say it doesn't, but what does it matter either way? That's where I'm confused.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Fansei
Well, does it make them bad to use, or am I over thinking it? Usually when I play magic I prefer not to use demons or devils.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Well as far as I'm concerned, vampires aren't devils or demons, at least not in the mythos of MTG.

Having said that, I find it strange that one is perfectly comfortable playing a character described using terms like

"With this blood magic he can drain the lifeforce of other beings, place curses on enemies, and even possess the minds of others"

"he has dedicated his existence to following his whims, and this easy life of pleasure"

" Edgar created a blood ritual which granted agelessness and the ability to subsist on blood. When Edgar anointed Sorin with the same vampiric state"

...but the slightest hint of him maybe being a "demon" is cause for concern...

Not trying to rag on you... just seems odd to me.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Fansei
Sorin isn't neccacerally a bad guy. He created Avacyn, The Angel of Hope, to protect the humans of Innistrad.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sure, he only drinks blood, places curses, and possesses others...

...some of the same characteristics of demons, actually.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Fansei
You have a point. Maybe you could consider him an anti-hero.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Yeah I'd agree with that.

But then again, MTG isn't my primary game. I'm all about Warhammer ;)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Fansei
Yea, I over think too much. Thanks for your help.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I think Arctic has pretty much covered all the bases here. (Sorry I didn't see this earlier. It's been a weird day...)
Fansei
Hmm yea. You know, Deepfreeze32, I read on a post of yours that there's a Bible professor at your school that plays Magic: The Gathering. Is there anyone in his club that uses vampires or demons?
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I believe he's used them in the past. I know of two people offhand (One of whom has graduated) who used vampires and demons, and their justification was more or less "I don't terribly care about the backstory, these just have good powers".

I haven't been able to contact him recently as he's supervising a study abroad group this semester. He's also a huge fan of League of Legends, so he's been less involved with the current incarnation of Magic than in the past.

I'm sorry I don't know more, but next time I can, I'll ask him.
Fansei
Ok, thanks. It's nice I have a Christian site where I can ask questions like these.