Shell we get this puppy started?

For any and all pen and paper RPG discussions and games.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I guess we need to decide:

Which game/Edition?
Who's GM?
How many players?
Who will play?

I know I'm in, and if we're playing any version of D&D and if I'm not GMming, I'm playin' a Paladin.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I'm really up for anything; never did this before, so I'd need pointers, oversight and a stern talking to at times.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I'm in favor of (Assuming we can distribute the rulebooks) almost any version of DnD, though I'd like to think I have enough experience and material to DM a 4e game.

I'd really like to do a Call of Cthulhu campaign at some point. I've also played around with World of Darkness enough to probably DM that if no one else has used it.

Maybe should make a poll when we get more ideas?

As for size, I think the ideal size for a game is about 5-6 including DM. Any more than that and in my experience, it becomes a chore to manage.

One question we should ask is how we're going to keep this straight on the forums. Are we going to do a turn-based system where the players have to take turns posting while the GM responds accordingly, or something else?

I think the other question we need to ask is how we can speed up the time in certain cases. We could always meet on some IRC channel if we wanted to do real-time stuff. This might be useful if the forums are down or if people want to move through it faster for a certain area.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
ArchAngel wrote:I'm really up for anything; never did this before, so I'd need pointers, oversight and a stern talking to at times.
Same here.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Orodrist wrote:
ArchAngel wrote:I'm really up for anything; never did this before, so I'd need pointers, oversight and a stern talking to at times.
Same here.
Ich auch.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
AWESOME! I'm stoked this forum is up.

I love D&D 3.5. I have a lot of experience with play by post.

Play by post can be handled in several ways. The players control the pace or the GM controls the pace.

In a player controlled game, each person sets the stage with what their player does. The other players respond in kind and help paint the scene further.

The GM controlled game is like a typical game. The GM sets the scene and the players say what they do in response. The GM then replies and the next turn goes as such.

In either, there should be a posting time limit. IE Once per day and if you do not post the GM moves things along and you can play catch up when you are able.

Online character sheets are easy to come by. I would recomend myth weavers. Set up an account there and depending on the game were doing, set up a character and make it public. THen post a link to your sheet so we can view it.

http://www.myth-weavers.com

Also on this site include a ton of DM resources.

D&D 3.5 is a good version to play. The reason I say this is because the resourses to play are open sourced (http://www.d20srd.org) so no one has to buy any books or anything.

Either or, i'm up for anythinng. I think an old school style game would be epic. A dungeon delve or sorts to get our feet wet.

What say you?
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sounds like there's plenty of resources online to support a 3.5 foray, and as you mentioned, nobody would need to buy any books. So that would be my vote.

(Ironically, I have a collection of hardcover rulebooks from 1st Edition - 4th Edition, but I'm missing 3.5 because they're so expensive.)

If everyone's in agreement, then I'll create a Paladin :D
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I'm excited. I'll roll... something.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Cool!

I guess the question is, who is going to DM this beast? I am familiar with 3.5 and have DM'd before so I can do it if you guys want. I just have to come up with a good story to get things started.
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
That would probably be the best. I have a lot of DM experience but never run a 3.5 game before so I second your nomination :mrgreen: .
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I'm cool with Fathom DM'ing.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Ok cool. This will be the first PBP I've DMd so please bare with me. In any case it should go awesome. I'll try to get something together in the next couple of days. Probably a simple dungeon crawl and then onto greater exploits for the party ahead.

EDIT:I would, however like to have a chance at gaming. 2nd edition would be awesome some time. I will keep my eye open for books now and when I get some stuff together, if you like, Arctic you can DM and we can have a truly classic game.

If anyone who reads this is familiar with 3.5 it's a standard 5d6 reroll 1s and 2s for each stat. Do that 7 times and pick the best 6.

High stats are fun, but please do not make a munchkin. I will go very antimunchkin if this is the case.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
fathom123 wrote: EDIT:I would, however like to have a chance at gaming. 2nd edition would be awesome some time. I will keep my eye open for books now and when I get some stuff together, if you like, Arctic you can DM and we can have a truly classic game.
I'd be happy to. 2nd Edition books are dirt cheap on eBay, too. Shipping frequently is higher than the price of the books themselves.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Ok, for the sake of learning the game characters will start at level 1.

So far we have:

ArcticFox: Paladin
Archangel: ?
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Hey guys,

CK would love to help with the art involved. If you want your character drawn then check out this thread

http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/phpB ... 51#p404951

If you can, provide pics for reference (IE You want the armor from this pic but the body and face from this one and the sword form this one...and so on).