What do I do now? The Third!

All Minecraft posts go here
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!

What do I do now? The Third!

Postby Sstavix » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:40 am

My help request thread keeps disappearing. I need to keep it more active.

But a comment in another thread had me come up with another question....
If you want to see the features in 1.12, you can enable snapshots in your launcher. Then you can play with the update features early. However, the snapshots are not 100% stable, so I recommend playing with them in new worlds, not ones you have made lots of progress in.
Whuzzah? Does that mean I can take one of my existing, single-player worlds, and update it to the latest stable build? How does that work?
"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." -- Noah Webster

My blog: Writing from Idaho

JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin

Re: What do I do now? The Third!

Postby JesusIsLord713 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:19 am

So basically what you have to do is go to your Minecraft launcher and find the enable snapshots button (I don't remember where it is in the new launcher but I'll find it and tell you). A warning message will pop up saying the snapshots are not extremely stable and may crash your worlds (like Zap was saying). Click OK and then you will be able to play most if not all snapshots for the next major/minor update. Then to play the snapshot on your existing worlds just click on the world you want to join and it will automatically update the world to that snapshot build (and vice versa if your returning to a previous version).
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!

LTB_Strax_Core

Postby LTB_Strax_Core » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:30 am

If you decide to down grade versions (from like the snapshot to the latest full version) I suggest you remove any concrete or bed blocks. Concrete, because it's new and anything built with it will be all glitched out. Bed will also be glitched due to the change that the wool you use to craft a bed effects it's color. This is also the case when you upgrade. Old beds CAN be invisible, and the only way to fix them is to break them.

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:42 am

But how do I take an existing world (say, one that I made back in 1.8) and update it to a 1.11 world? Or does that happen immediately?
"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." -- Noah Webster

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict

Postby ZappierVirus » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:18 pm

When you download a new update and enter an old world the world will automatically update to the version you are using. Worlds can also be downgraded, but this can cause crashes because the older version will not know how to handle the new blocks and items.
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:51 pm

So my existing worlds that I've been working on will have things like llamas pop up? Automatically?

I did not know that! I thought I would have to create a new world every time if I wanted to try out any of the new content with each update.

I've only been playing the game for about a year, and there's a lot I still don't know about it. :)

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict

Postby ZappierVirus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Yep! For some things to appear you will have to explore and generate new chunks, but that is part of the fun of updating!
I post too much.

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:40 pm

So since the server will be reset, and I know more now than I did then, I'm thinking of a different approach for a new start.

I want to make enchanting a priority this time around. So I'm thinking that, after I get a home / crafting area established, I'll have to do some hunting in the resource world. For cows. Hooray for cows!

So here's my question - after you get your basic shelter set up, what do you typically make a priority?

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict

Postby ZappierVirus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:34 pm

My main priority is getting iron gear. It provides enough protection that you can survive most hostile mobs. After that I go for diamonds and an enchantment table, preferably with full bookshelves. Then I cycle the 30 level hint until I can guarantee Fortune 3 on a Diamond Pickaxe. Then I do diamond mining. I use those diamonds to make armor, and I cycle the enchantment hint until I can guarantee Protection 4. Then I use enchanted books to improve my armor pieces.

Along the way I try to get a mending villager so I can keep my powerful weapons and armor intact. This way I can minimize the amount of enchanting I have to do. I usually set up a shop and try to sell extra enchanted books that I get.

Hope this helps!
I post too much.

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:48 am

My main priority is getting iron gear. It provides enough protection that you can survive most hostile mobs.
I had trouble doing that with diamond armor. Stupid creepers....
After that I go for diamonds and an enchantment table, preferably with full bookshelves. Then I cycle the 30 level hint until I can guarantee Fortune 3 on a Diamond Pickaxe. Then I do diamond mining. I use those diamonds to make armor, and I cycle the enchantment hint until I can guarantee Protection 4. Then I use enchanted books to improve my armor pieces.
How do you get to level 30? I think the highest I've managed to get was around 16. Then I got killed by a stupid creeper....

Along the way I try to get a mending villager so I can keep my powerful weapons and armor intact.
What is a mending villager? I don't think I've ever seen one of those....

I know you tried to answer my question, but now it raised more questions! :lol: I suppose the first thing I need to do is try and get a mine together to find coal and iron, then see where I can go from there.

Trix_110
Noob
Noob

Postby Trix_110 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:02 pm

My main priority is getting iron gear. It provides enough protection that you can survive most hostile mobs. After that I go for diamonds and an enchantment table, preferably with full bookshelves. Then I cycle the 30 level hint until I can guarantee Fortune 3 on a Diamond Pickaxe. Then I do diamond mining. I use those diamonds to make armor, and I cycle the enchantment hint until I can guarantee Protection 4. Then I use enchanted books to improve my armor pieces.

Along the way I try to get a mending villager so I can keep my powerful weapons and armor intact. This way I can minimize the amount of enchanting I have to do. I usually set up a shop and try to sell extra enchanted books that I get.

Hope this helps!
Getting a shield would be very useful against creepers and skeletons.

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict

Postby ZappierVirus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Yeah, shields are crucial for not dying. They block 100% of damage.

Usually I visit an enderman farm for getting 30 levels. But after the reset there won't be one for a while.

I have to go, but I will post a follow up to this post later.
I post too much.

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:18 pm

I didn't know shields blocked that much damage! I'll have to remember to use mine more often.

You know... after I make a new one.

JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin

Postby JesusIsLord713 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:06 am

Some things like the wither effect from wither skeletons will still get through, but most of the time it does block 100% of damage!
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!

Sstavix
CCGR addict

Postby Sstavix » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 am

I've never attacked a wither skeleton. But then again, I've never been to the Nether on this server. The only times I've visited the Nether has been in Creative or Peaceful modes in individual games. And I've never been to "The End" in any way, shape or form.

The regular survival world is plenty dangerous enough for my tastes! :lol:

Return to “Minecraft”