Is this thing on...

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You might have to bump it up, it's a classic sci-fi 4x. Especially if you liked the Civilization games.

And oh, look, it's on sale: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$2.39 right now, for both Alpha Centauri and it's expansion, Alien Crossfire.
I HIGHLY recommend you pick this up. Even if you land an original copy elsewhere (good luck, I've been seeing them go for quite a price), there's also technical difficulties for getting it running on modern computers.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
delve
Are you human?: Yes!
I looked at the GOG sale email and didn't see it somehow. I'm going to blame advanced age (it's nicer than blaming child-induced lack of sleep).

Can't argue with <$3 though. I'll pick it up after work. I'm still getting accustomed to StarDrive's unique faults. It still feels very unfinished, but is largely playable. Alpha Centauri will make a nice comparison point I guess. I'm on a bit of sci-fi 4x binge at the moment it feels like.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I saw the sale notice too, but I didn't realize it was on sale until I went to grab the link for you.

Sci-fi 4x is a great binge. I'm playing through StarDock's fantasy 4X, Fallen Enchantress, and it's feeling pretty good. Like a modern Master of Magic.

Also, while not 4X, the new XCOM game is pretty good, too. It won't satisfy a lust for global or galactic domination, but it's a fun tactical game.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

delve
Yeah, XCom is on my list too. Had good times with the original.

For some reason fantasy 4Xs don't generally move me much. Master of Magic is one of the few that I enjoyed. Maybe my fantasy RPG beginnings have biased my viewpoint too much.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I haven't had amazing success with them either. I couldn't get into the Heroes of Might and Magic (but not really 4X, either). I did end up really liking Disciples 2, though.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

delve
I played the bytes out of Disciples 2. Disciples 3 left me feeling cold inside.

I couldn't get into heroes much either, but I did enjoy Majesty. It had charm and some very interesting mechanics. Just... those sewers... argh! Still not quite a 4X :)
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Why are there sewers in nigh every fantasy game created?
delve
Depends on your point of view. From a GM perspective, you have to get these darned newbs some proper combat experience without sending them into a meat grinder. Plus it's a lot easier to say "Whoopsie, the bars just fell back in place and you're locked in now! Better find another exit!" than to say "Uh... you can't leave the forest to lick your wounds. You... just... can't. Because... um... OH NO MORE GOBLINSES!"
It's not entirely creative, but it works :)

For CRPGs... probably too much Waterdeep and not enough creativity ;)

In Majesty though the sewers are just invincible random monster spawners that start appearing throughout your city once it reaches a certain size. They can be very problematic but also, by shear coincidence, provide a way to get some relatively safe experience for newbie hero units.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Yeah, Disciples 3 suffered from 3rd Syndrome.
The second in the series often rocks unbelievably, but the 3rd one is created by a new studio and sucks.

Star Control 2: One of the greatest games ever. Star Control 3: Abominably bad.
Master of Orion 2: The greatest space 4X game ever. Master of Orion 3: Abominably bad.
Disciples 2: Amazingly fun Fantasy TBS. Disciples 3: Abominably bad.
Etc.

Even Civ 3 is the weakest in the series, imo.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

delve
SMB3 is best in class though.

Never got a chance to play SC3 much. I probably should look into it just for backgrounding.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Did EVO also give you a hard time when you first played it?

I just got past the guard in Chapter 5 (the one who keeps smacking you with his club). I'm assuming I'm nearing the end of the game. I'm completely lost now. This is like a maze.

Also.. stinkin' yetis.
delve
Eh, marginally. It's been a long time but if I remember correctly that boss was annoying until I figured out a pattern; more importantly I think some forms have a much harder time with him than others. Did you go mammal or stay dino? The evolutionary route you keep will largely determine how you approach the bosses. IIRC, there are 4 possible primary body types you could have by the end. Two of them are a bit obscure to get to though.

I don't recall the specifics but yeah, I think you're close to the end.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I'm a mammal, yeah. I haven't figured out how to become a human. I suppose I missed out on it or something.
delve
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly you have to upgrade to specific body parts and then the option opens up. I don't remember specifics, GIYF
As a mammal don't forget about you back kick. It's super-useful.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Yeah I figured that out much later.
Spoiler:
When I faced off against the first yeti, I realized he was easy as pie if you keep kicking him. Nearly slapped myself once I figured it out.
This game is honestly amazing to me. I remember playing it as a kid and never getting past the underwater part, but swimming around as a fish and eating stuff was really fun. Definitely an underrated classic.

The most unique game you can think of?