The Final Fantasy Thread

Grind them stats! MMOs and all kinds of RPGs go here.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Drewsov
CCGR addict
This thread is for all things Final Fantasy. Love a game? Post here. Hate a game? Rant about it. Need help getting past that pesky boss, or snagging that elusive hunt? Ask for help here.

Me... I just resumed playing XIII. Determined to beat this, but been stuck at a boss since late June or early July. Argh.

(I basically got sick of seeing multiple FF threads pop up. :P)
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Nix
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Not likely
'bout time this thread was created. If you didn't, I was gonna sooner or later. :p

So. This boss. Which one he be?

"Kissaki Kai is not like fighting an opponent, it is an execution."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
played a little bit of FFI I like to play games in order when possible :)
Keero
Final Fantasy 6 and 9 are the best just because.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Nix wrote:'bout time this thread was created. If you didn't, I was gonna sooner or later. :p

Well, like twenty minutes after creating this thread, I got past him. Was stuck at The Proudclad. Now I'm stuck at the Adamanchelid or whatever it is. And whatever the thing actually is, it really stinks that they throw that at you after the boss without a save point. XD

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Harvester
Gamer
Gamer
I played part of Final Fantasy 4 on a SNES emulator. I liked the story, characters and music, but the thing that made me quit was the need for grinding experience points. After every quest I had to run in circles around the world map for an hour, battling monsters, because otherwise I wouldn't be powerful enough for the next quest. Seeing as the combat was really boring, this put me off so I quit. If I could just do the quests and play the story without the need for grinding, I would have played longer and maybe finished the game.
Kendrik
CCGR addict
Hunt down the American version of Final Fantasy II (which is more or less the same as the Japanese version of IV... which you played). II/IV is probably my favorite of the lot. The American version was made a lot easier than the Japanese version. It also had some stuff censored (though I can't recall what) and a little watering down of the story, or so I've heard, BUT it should have less grindy stuff to it.

Then again, I heart grindy games. :P

@ccgr: Final Fantasy is one of the very few series where I'd say "play 'em in whatever order you feel like." Pretty much the only games that are at all connected in story are X and X-2. The rest? Only link is in branding and some themes. Only reason to play 'em in order is to see the evolution of game mechanics over the last 20 years.

As for me, IV and XII are my favorites. I haven't had a chance to play V or VI yet. III (on DS) is no joke. The hyperlinearity of X makes me sad, but I otherwise really love half the cast and most of the story. XIII is really good, but it's very much a love it or hate it affair; despite the linearity that mimics X for the first 20 hours of the game, the pacing and overall feel are much better.

Oh. Though it's not a main series game, Dissidia is a fantastic (lolpun) game. Seriously. Pretty much reason enough to have a PSP. It's really that good.

/needs to finally get that PSP Go
Nix
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drewsov wrote:
Nix wrote:'bout time this thread was created. If you didn't, I was gonna sooner or later. :p

Well, like twenty minutes after creating this thread, I got past him. Was stuck at The Proudclad. Now I'm stuck at the Adamanchelid or whatever it is. And whatever the thing actually is, it really stinks that they throw that at you after the boss without a save point. XD
Oh yeah, the little turtle dude. I remember having some serious sweat on my skin when fighting him, until I put on the debuffs and buffs. Then he was easy.

But I get what ya mean, the whole BANG and then BANG thing with the bosses without a save... yeah. Annoying.

Or rather, old school. :p

As to my favorite FF game... it's super hard to pick an ultimate "if stranded on an island and could have only one FF what would it be". I absolutely love the characters of XIII and IV; at the end of the stories, there was not a one that I didn't love. Plus, XIII's battle system rocks. Granted, it's very different especially coming off of XII... but I fell in love with it quickly.

XII easily has my favorite world design. I can wonder around loving everything about it tirelessly. Now the characters... aren't my favorite. Basch, Balthier and Ashe are awesome, but I hated Vaan until the final few hours (and even then he was meh), Fran is overrated, and I absolutely detest Penelo. The story is one of my favorites, but in the end it's the characters who drive an RPG for me and based only on those I find it tough to call XII my all time favorite.

VII will always hold a special place in my heart, just because of all the good memories. It was one of the first games I really loved. It hasn't held up as well as some over time, but I'd still play it in a heartbeat.

To be honest, I don't remember enough of the story/characters of VI/VIII/IX to comment on them with any certainty... due to having played them when I was like 8. XD

Conclusion: <3 the FF series.

Drewsov
CCGR addict
Nix wrote:
Drewsov wrote:

Oh yeah, the little turtle dude. I remember having some serious sweat on my skin when fighting him, until I put on the debuffs and buffs. Then he was easy.

But I get what ya mean, the whole BANG and then BANG thing with the bosses without a save... yeah. Annoying.

Or rather, old school. :P
Well... got past that guy. It really was all about buffing and debuffing. Then I staggered him and combo'd him into oblivion.

Now I'm working through the rest of the enemies, because, well, this game needs to be finished. xD

Kendrik
CCGR addict
Drewsov wrote:Well... got past that guy. It really was all about buffing and debuffing. Then I staggered him and combo'd him into oblivion.
Welcome to my team: Fang, Hope, Sazh. Throw up shields. Buff the party. Then go to work on debuffing and staggering fools. Not the fastest method, but it's definitely effective in just about every situation. :D

I miss that game. :/
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Kendrik wrote:
Drewsov wrote:Well... got past that guy. It really was all about buffing and debuffing. Then I staggered him and combo'd him into oblivion.
Welcome to my team: Fang, Hope, Sazh. Throw up shields. Buff the party. Then go to work on debuffing and staggering fools. Not the fastest method, but it's definitely effective in just about every situation. :D

I actually used Light, Vanille and Hope. Had to go into Perseverance (Med/Med/Sab) and Convalescence (Med/Med/Syn) in order to stay alive. Then it was Diversity (Com/Rav/Med) and Tri-Disaster (Rav/Rav/Rav) in order to finish the guy up. XD

Spartan_117
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I asked for another copy of FFXIII for Christmas. I had to trade mine in before I got very far because I needed money for Reach. I look forward to getting to fully enjoy it this time.
Nix
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drewsov wrote:
Kendrik wrote:

I actually used Light, Vanille and Hope. Had to go into Perseverance (Med/Med/Sab) and Convalescence (Med/Med/Syn) in order to stay alive. Then it was Diversity (Com/Rav/Med) and Tri-Disaster (Rav/Rav/Rav) in order to finish the guy up. XD
Light, Vanille and Hope are my normal team, especially when I needed a Rav. Light is a well balanced character, making a good Com or Rav... though a better Rav overall.

However, Fang is the best Com in the entire game, packing the most power. So I also understand your party Kenny. :p

So. Drew. Once you get to the final boss, tell me if you think he's as easy as I found him. Seriously... he seems soooo over powered at first, slaughtered my party the first couple times... until I went the patient route and put on the buffs and debuffs. Then I did the slaughtering. :p

Pheonix
Forum Moderator
So, I decided that once I get the money, I'm getting Tales of Symphonia instead of FF13.

Just thought I'd troll your thread. :mrgreen:

But hey, once I'm done with it, FF13 will be really cheap. :P
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
Keero
ToS is a great choice.

FF13 has been sitting on my shelf for about two months. Blehhhhhhhhhhh.